70-680 versus 70-686 - what's the difference?

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
I just passed 70-680, and since my company will pay for the exam fees I figure I may as well go ahead and earn the certification for passing 70-686 as well. After looking at the "skills tested" for both exams I really don't see much difference. So my question is - what is the difference in these 2 exams? Any pointers and suggestions would be very appreciated.

I do have Darril Gibson's 685/686 book which I used for 70-680 - so I will probably just re-read it and try and take the exam. I'd like to try and get this done in a week or two to avoid the increased test fees, and to use my last second shot voucher.

Thanks

Comments

• pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    It more about knowing what tool is right for the job and at what time. 686 focuses on design and goes in a bit deeper with the deployment stuff. I found that when I was reading the MS Press 686 book it felt like 1/2 of it had already been covered by 680.

Know when to use MAK/KMS and how to design suitable activation models.

Know how to design a WSUS infrastucture.

100% know the terminology around deployment: MDT, ACT, MAP, WDS, SCCM, DISM, IMAGEX, LTI, ZTI, USMT. What each is and when to use it.

Know your stuff around GPO/AD linkage/filtering policies

There is going to be heaps more than that you need to know for this exam. They are just some of the things I can rattle off the top of my head.

Good luck with the exam!
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Thanks for the info - thankfully most of this stuff was covered in my studying for the Server 2008 exams for my MCITP:EA. I already have a pretty good grasp on deployment, so I plan on just reviewing the Gibson book and then I am going to book this one and get it out of the way.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am studying for the 686 as well. I am finding that the 686 references a lot of the same material that the 680 does.

TB- having passed the server exams, the 686 will probably not be hard for you. Good luck!