Options

Help Desk- Technical Support. Job or Scam

geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
I applied for a few jobs on Craigslist and i got an email this morning telling me that i can come in for an interview to see if im a fit after reading along the message i became kind of weary that it might be one of those scam type deals. Below i pasted a copy of the message to get you guys input.

Hello Corey.

Thank you for responding to our need for a Technical Support Analyst. We appreciate your interest.

After careful review of your qualifications, I feel you are a viable candidate for this opportunity. Please allow me to share some pertinent information so we can determine if there is mutual interest.

The position is that of a Technical Support Analyst for CGS Incorporated located at 301 Perimeter Center North Atlanta 30346. We are a premier business partner with IBM/Lenovo and we will be taking technical service calls on their behalf until the year 2013. We are NOT a Temporary Agency; the job is a contractual, internal position within our organization offering an hourly wage of $11.00. The shifts are varied in our call center so the person selected will have to be 100% flexible with regard to scheduling. We staff according to the needs of our business so a shift may include early mornings, evenings, over night and/or weekends. If you have obligations that would prevent you from being completely flexible, the position may not be suited for you at this time.

In addition, we operate a drug free work environment so you must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen as well as a comprehensive background check to be further considered.

I would like to invite you in for an interview on tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10:00AM for a possible Monday (June 20, 2011) start date. I have attached directions for your convenience.
Thank you. I look forward to meeting with you on tomorrow.

Kindest Regards,
Gloria
Currently Studying for Network+, Server+, and Security+

The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before

Comments

• Options
    jdchildersjdchilders Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't see any immediate red flags. Does the email and everything else look legit.
  • Options
    techtimetechtime Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can tell you Lenovo/IBM does have a call center in ATL as I have spoke to people at that location and $11.00 sounds about right for the type of information I have gotten when speaking with them. This is super entry level. I dealt with them in the capacity where I would order a part under warranty and they would call to force me to troubleshoot via a script. Good luck
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What made you think that it was a scam? I don't really see anything wrong with the email. It's just basically saying "hey, you want an 11/hr job that we are only contracted to do until 2013?"
  • Options
    jdchilders wrote: »
    I don't see any immediate red flags. Does the email and everything else look legit.

Yes i map quested the address and its legit, idk im so used of getting my hopes up for jobs and they end up turning into scams. so that explains why i was so skeptical

• Options
    techtime wrote: »
    I can tell you Lenovo/IBM does have a call center in ATL as I have spoke to people at that location and $11.00 sounds about right for the type of information I have gotten when speaking with them. This is super entry level. I dealt with them in the capacity where I would order a part under warranty and they would call to force me to troubleshoot via a script. Good luck

Yes i seen they are in Atlanta, The job is 1hr/10min commute from my house and this would be my first call center job if they choose me for the position..
    However is 11/hr worth the 1hr commute.?

• Options
    However is 11/hr worth the 1hr commute.?

Yes, if you need the money.

No, if you don't need the money.
  • Options
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    Yes, if you need the money.

No, if you don't need the money.

Whelp i guess with expecting a newborn this November, it'll be worth the drive :)

• Options
    Also, with these types of jobs the company may offer some kind of commission. It would be based off some kind of sales or some kind of customer retention. Usually, the first three months is an evaluation of your performance, then after that based on how you did they may bump you to either of the extra commission jobs.
  • Options
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    Also, with these types of jobs the company may offer some kind of commission. It would be based off some kind of sales or some kind of customer retention. Usually, the first three months is an evaluation of your performance, then after that based on how you did they may bump you to either of the extra commission jobs.

Thanks for that update hopefully everything goes flawlessly tomorrow. I need this job

• Options
    Diggs3dDiggs3d Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup it's looks legit. I received a similar email from CGS Inc. a few years ago. I ended up taking a position as a Technical Support I for a short period of time.

I hope this helps........... :)
  • Options
    Diggs3d wrote: »
    Yup it's looks legit. I received a similar email from CGS Inc. a few years ago. I ended up taking a position as a Technical Support I for a short period of time.

I hope this helps........... :)

I just hope they will be flexible with me due to this pregnancy
    situation

• Options
    I think that should work in your favor...Just be up front about your situation and let them know that your willing to work with them on your schedule.

Currently Reading: SSCP Prep Guide, Official (ISC)2 Guide to the SSCP CBK, and Ucertify SSCP
  • Options
    Well guys the interview went well i think, she asked me two simple questions. " How to open command prompt in Windows XP, and What does " IPCONFIG" display in the Command Prompt". She says im qualified for the job however she is worried that the distance i have to travel everyday would be a problem but she says she will let me know her decision this afternoon. Fingers are still crossed ):

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I just got an e-mail from a Technisource recruiter that you may be interested in. It was very obvious to me that they did NOT read my resume at all. If they did, I'm almost insulted by the offer... It's a remote/telecommute Tier 1 Help Desk job that pays $15/hr. It says they want people with A+ and 3 years if IT Support, and you have to pass a "ProveIT!" test with a score of 80%.

It'd be a HUGE step backwards in my career, not to mention a gigantic pay cut for me, but this sounds like something that could be very good for you. Especially with a new baby on the way.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, it was through CareerBuilder, so you should be able to find the job listing on there.
  • Options
    Well considering the hiring manager didn't respond back yesterday with an answering stating if i got the job makes me worry. However im going to keep replying for postions and see where that takes me. Thanks for the support guys icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    Well considering the hiring manager didn't respond back yesterday with an answering stating if i got the job makes me worry. However im going to keep replying for postions and see where that takes me. Thanks for the support guys icon_cheers.gif

Technisource Job Branding Animated Proof

There's the one I was talking about, good luck.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Technisource Job Branding Animated Proof

There's the one I was talking about, good luck.

Ill apply however at the moment i hold no certs

• Options
    This is what the human resource lady sent me
    Hello Corey

Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Computer Generated Solutions. We were impressed with all of the finalists and each presented a unique and attractive set of skills, abilities, and technical qualities.

However, after careful deliberation about each candidate’s potential contribution, we have selected another person for the position. There is much to be admired in your record and I wish you the best in obtaining the position to which you aspire. To ensure consideration for future openings, I would encourage you to monitor our positions on our company website, www.cgsinc.com.

Again, thank you for your interest in our position. We wish you success in your continued search efforts.

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry to hear that but don't let it get you down. You'll see a more than one of those in your career. Just keep going and don't get discouraged.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the job with CGS didn't work out......Keep your eyes open and don't stop applying.

Reading: SSCP Prep Guide & Official (ISC)2 Guide to the SSCP CBK
  • Options
    Ya it was a bummer, however im going to change my resume around and throw it at some of the hiring recruiters on " Craigslist and Monster"

• Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya it was a bummer, however im going to change my resume around and throw it at some of the hiring recruiters on " Craigslist and Monster"

I searched and submitted resumes for 2+ years. Over that time I probably sent out, I'm gonna guess 50-70 resumes at minimum. My area is heavily IT depressed, so thats a very large figure here. I had a few interviews along the way, and many failed attempts. Never give up. I've been working at my current job for 4+ months now, and I enjoy every aspect of it.

Determination pays off, persistence pays the bills
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CGS supports good old IBM/Levovo. They underbid a company in Canada to bring the call center here to Georgia. In the beginning they paid a small bonus per completed call. CGS eliminated the bonus and cut some peoples pay which caused quite a few of their employees to quit (several years ago). OK place to break into IT, but kind of a dead end job from the numerous people I've met who previously worked there.

Your commute would be quite a bit longer than 1h10 minutes. Newnan to Perimeter is quite a haul. North on 75/85 or 285 is brutal that time of morning.

Did you bring up the pregnancy during the interview?

Also check GA DOL and CareerBuilder.com.
  • Options
    kevozz wrote: »
    CGS supports good old IBM/Levovo. They underbid a company in Canada to bring the call center here to Georgia. In the beginning they paid a small bonus per completed call. CGS eliminated the bonus and cut some peoples pay which caused quite a few of their employees to quit (several years ago). OK place to break into IT, but kind of a dead end job from the numerous people I've met who previously worked there.

Your commute would be quite a bit longer than 1h10 minutes. Newnan to Perimeter is quite a haul. North on 75/85 or 285 is brutal that time of morning.

Did you bring up the pregnancy during the interview?

Also check GA DOL and CareerBuilder.com.

The pregnancy was brought up in a interview and the hiring manager says she understood my situation however didn't understand it enough to verify me as the candidate for the open position

• Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure i would have brought it up. This brings up an interesting point. Should something like this be brought up in an interview, or does it put you at a disadvantage given the current market?

Why would you bring it up? For example, if you needed time off, or just giving them a heads up?
  • Options
    The only reason the pregnancy issue would brought up was because upon starting the 1st 30 days were training, and if you were gonna be absent any one of those days go ahead and speak, i told her i had an ultrasound on the 21th of June, she said she understood my situation and was gonna see what she could do

• Options
    showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With all due respect...you can make that kind of money working for Wal-mart. Find something local for 11 dollars an hour should be easy. It may not be a Tech related postion, but no need to rush into a job like that, take your time, get some money and work on your Certs.

Also, congrats on the baby, prepare for some long nights!