Book Recommendations

RBB22RBB22 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I apologize for the question in advance as I know it has been asked before, but I seem to get many different answers when researching this question. Which book(s) are best for studying for the A+ exam. I am going through Professor Messer's A+ videos and would like a book to go along with them. If you could state why you liked a certain book over another that might help me choose the one that I think would be best for me. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had two books due to a really awesome yard sale. Mike Meyers' "CompTIA A+ certification exam guide" and Jean Andrews' "Guide to managing and maintaining your PC" .

I found the second one to be better laid out for my learning style. It's very heavy on the photos and is more visual. The diagrams are easy to understand and the author manages to get some relatively complex ideas out there in easily understood explanations. It was the book I chose when it came to having it open while I tinkered with my actual PCs.

That said, the first one is a very good option as well. Mike Meyers is very knowledgeable and comes across as a friendly instructor. If I only had this book, I wouldn't have looked for another book.

I would recommend either. I would also recommend you go through a book, take copious notes, and if possible play around with a computer or two or three while you're going through it to get more of a hands-on understanding of the concepts. One of the things that helped me learn how to document appropriately was getting all of my friends to come to me with their computer problems so I could troubleshoot the "correct" way.
  • wwefan316wwefan316 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    which book would be best to get

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) [Hardcover] by Michael Meyers

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309240005&sr=8-1

or this one

CompTIA A+ Cert Guide (220-701 and 220-702) (2nd Edition) [Hardcover]

Mark Edward Soper (Author), David L. Prowse (Author), Scott William Mueller (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789747901/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

^^ that one seems more newer and I was wondering if anybody else used that book?
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read the Mike Myers book and the exam cram guide. I liked Mike Myers book from the angle of having all the info there historical and otherwise, however, I found it too big to study from which is where I really liked having the exam cram. Use both in conjunction by laying the foundation with the big book, and then zeroing in on test specific stuff with the exam cram.