WGU Questions

cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

New to this site, and have been reading a few WGU Questions post, and I and quite intrigued...

My questions are. (most my info has been gathered reading other posts)

The tuition of $2890/6 month term, you can take as many classes you can handle?

How fast can you finish each class?

Or are the class structured to be completed in 6 month time frame?

If I have my MCSE or CCNA before I apply how much credit is that?

And for those that applied how many credits did you get with your resume?

Since the courses are self taught? How are students evaluated?

Sorry for all the questions, like others I want to get a degree, just kind of hard with a FT job.

How are those of you who have FT jobs, hand WGU classes?

Thanks
X

Comments

• nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    cvuong1984 wrote: »
    The tuition of $2890/6 month term, you can take as many classes you can handle?

Yes. If you take three classes or twenty, the price is the same.
    How fast can you finish each class?
    As fast as you can prepare for the exam or write the papers. Including getting your mentor to add the class, approve the final assessment, and (assuming it's an exam) get the vouchers or sign up for the online test, it can take five days -- assuming that you already know enough to pass.
    Or are the class structured to be completed in 6 month time frame?
    They're structured to be completed at your own pace, whatever that may be.
    If I have my MCSE or CCNA before I apply how much credit is that?
    CCNA will knock out any networking courses in whichever track you choose. If you go security, that's two classes and everything else is one (I believe). MCSE has to be within the last five years to be transferable, and that should knock out multiple in the network admin path. Otherwise I think it would just be one class having to do with configuring Windows 7 clients.
    And for those that applied how many credits did you get with your resume?
    They don't give credits for work experience. Only certs and college classes.
    Since the courses are self taught? How are students evaluated?
    The courses are mostly self taught, but you can get help if you need it through message boards, "class mentors," online chats, etc. They also provide a bunch of resources like books, ebooks, etc. Evaluations are through certification exams, evaluation of papers you write, or tests which can be taken at testing centers or in your own home with a webcam.
  • cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply/info...

Another quick question...

How many credit is it to graduate? standard 120 ish credits?

So I am guessing we need to take

English 1/2 etc?
    College Math 1/2 etc?
    X
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i think it depends on the degree path

i think its 3 math 3 english and 2 or 3 management
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for the reply/info...

Another quick question...

How many credit is it to graduate? standard 120 ish credits?

So I am guessing we need to take

English 1/2 etc?
    College Math 1/2 etc?

Mind you, but I think I find the WGU website very readable and researchable. WGU would love to have prospective students who can answer a majority of the questions on their own, and you seem to be asking a lot of basic questions that has been answered in theirs and our WGU FAQs thread. WGU is for students who can self-study independently on their own. WGU also provides nice set of brochures in PDF formats in each of their programs. We can't answer your question very well since we have no idea which program you are interested in. Please take a moment to look around and see if you can get most of your answers there, then come back here to ask more specific questions if you can't find the answer for it anywhere, and we can help you with that. For example, if you are going to share your IT background and experience, and you want an opinion on which program you want to enroll, then we can help you with that, since WGU probably isn't the best place to ask since most of their enrollment counselors are somewhat clueless.
    Thanks hidden. I spent a few hours today looking through
    the degree program and pdfs.

I am looking into BS: IT Security degree.

I am currently studying for CCENT (Taking test July 1st)
    then wrapping it up with ICND2.

Afterwards I am planning is to knock out some GE classes on Straighterline.

My question now is, should I go take some/all of the CIW, CompTIA, and Microsoft Certs required for the degree, before I enroll at WGU?

With all GE taken from SL, and Certs down, I should have somewhere around 60 credits...

Thank You All,
    For Your Time.
    X
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My question now is, should I go take some/all of the CIW, CompTIA, and Microsoft Certs required for the degree, before I enroll at WGU?

That's a tough call to make. I'm sure you and I are not the only one who can make the best decision for ourselves that easily. From what I have learned so far from others, some said they prefer to take those certs on their dimes, so that they can do the retake if they mess up (there are some restrictions on retake, so don't get your hope up yet). However, the downsize of going on this route is that they would have to spend more money due to needing more time (which means more terms). If you are able to afford the cert test and the resources on your own, and you just want to get that bachelor degree quicker, then you should go ahead and take those exams. I am trying to take my ICND2 on their dimes, but I am not gonna sit around and wait until I start. I'm better off studying right now, so that I know I will be ready to take the ICND2 the month after I enroll.
    Just got a reply from an enrollment counselor. Apparently they do review transcript from ITT Tech?

This is extremely good news for me since,
    I finished a bunch of GE classes and others i cant remember...

Gonna swing by ITT and get a copy of the transcript to check.
    X