Options

What is and what's available on TechNet?

JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone had more detailed information regarding Microsoft's TechNet. The official site did not seem to carry a lot of information.

From what I can gather, they have Microsoft software available like Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimat available for use for the purpose of evaluation, testing, and/or study. Can anyone please confirm this? Am I able to use this with VMWare Player to study for the 70-680/5/6 exams? What about the Windows Server exams?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechNet: Compare Subscriptions

If you look on that page under software evaluation you will see the link Click here to download the full list of products.

you do not need technet. You can just use the evaluation versions which give you 180 days. If you need more than 180 days on a lab I would say you are doing it wrong icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fair enough, thanks. ^_^

Do the evauations allow for multiple VM installs?
  • Options
    Jinuyr wrote: »
    Fair enough, thanks. ^_^

Do the evauations allow for multiple VM installs?

Yes, you don't even need a product key.

Use any version of Windows 7 free for 120 days
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, you don't even need a product key.

Use any version of Windows 7 free for 120 days

Okay, but can you technically keep it for more than 120 days in VM. Can't you? Correct me if I am wrong, but if I reinstall it in a VM with the same key, then I can continue to experiment with it, right?
  • Options
    Okay, but can you technically keep it for more than 120 days in VM. Can't you? Correct me if I am wrong, but if I reinstall it in a VM with the same key, then I can continue to experiment with it, right?
    I'm talking about the 120 day eval without a product key. If you are using product keys then you need to consult the license agreement that governs the key.

Without the key MS grants you up-to 120 days using the rearm feature.

If you are using TechNet or an MSDN subscription you can build your VMs, activate them using your keys (usually a MAK for 10 activations) and then just roll back to snapshots after you mess something up ad infinitum. But if you are just using these VMs for a cert lab, 120 days should be more than enough time and you can use the snapshots there as well. Then, even if you do have TechNet or MSDN, you do not need to use up any of your MAKs.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm talking about the 120 day eval without a product key. If you are using product keys then you need to consult the license agreement that governs the key.

Without the key MS grants you up-to 120 days using the rearm feature.

If you are using TechNet or an MSDN subscription you can build your VMs, activate them using your keys (usually a MAK for 10 activations) and then just roll back to snapshots after you mess something up ad infinitum. But if you are just using these VMs for a cert lab, 120 days should be more than enough time and you can use the snapshots there as well. Then, even if you do have TechNet or MSDN, you do not need to use up any of your MAKs.

Makes perfect sense. I don't know why did I even bother asking if the evaluation needs a product key. Thanks for answering my question. :D