Options

CompTIA annual fees

bproctorbproctor Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, someone help me out here please.

I just passed my Security+ and understand that I need 50 CE units and to pay a $49 annual fee. I understand that if I get A+ and Net+ the CE units are covered by the 50 units for Security+. But, what I can't find an answer to is if I have all three certs do I need to pay $25 for A+, and $49 each for the Net+ and Sec+, or is it like the CE units and I only pay the $49 once to cover all three?

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bproctor wrote: »

I just passed my Security+ and understand that I need 50 CE units and to pay a $49 annual fee. I understand that if I get A+ and Net+ the CE units are covered by the 50 units for Security+. But, what I can't find an answer to is if I have all three certs do I need to pay $25 for A+, and $49 each for the Net+ and Sec+, or is it like the CE units and I only pay the $49 once to cover all three?

I have to say I felt bad for anyone who is not grandfathered into the lifetime certs, so with that being said, I can't help you with this since I have disregard any news or updates from CompTIA on the exam recertification. Maybe when I take my Linux+, I will start to pay close attention to those things.

I just want to say that if you are not working for DoD, and you will be working with Cisco, Microsoft, or other vendors that have certifications to prove that you are familar with their products, then you are probably better off letting those entry-level certs expired if they did not take you anywhere further. CompTIA certs are soley being viewed as a foundation or an introduction to those vendor products that you may be will be dealing with. I would rather spend more money and recertify on higher-level certs than CompTIA certs. I just want to stop you from possibly making a mistake you may regret later. Hey, it's your decision what you want to do with your life after all. I wish you the best of luck, but hang around for more opinions from the others.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input;

I do work for the DOD, but as of now they will only pay the maitenance fees and provide vouchers if your position requires it. My goal is to be prepared for a position before I apply rather than wait until I get a position then have to try to get the items required.

When I was hired for my current position a couple months ago Security+ was a requirement, now after some renaming, it is not. However, I dont mind paying for my stuff because hopefully one day it will help me advance to where I don't have to pay, but I am just trying to know the exact details behind it all.

I do plan to to go after the higher level stuff, but I am trying to do it in steps so that hopefully I will retain more knowledge.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

I'm pretty sure that you only need to be concerned with renewing your Security+. By renewing the highest one it automatically renews those under it. This is my understanding at least.

Let me see if I can dig something up from CompTIA.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't see this specific scenario addressed. I would contact them directly and ask.

CompTIA Continuing Education Program

and

http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/CE_FAQ.sflb.ashx

are what I found.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    All4QualityAll4Quality Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My understanding was, satisfyiing the CE for the highest you have will count for the lower ones?

So since i have Security+ , Network+ and A+ , all i need to satisfy is the Security+ CE?
  • Options
    That is the way I understand it also. But while researching the CompTIA website I havent been able find anything that specifies on the annual fees. There are several places that explain how the CE units work, but I am just trying to be sure I have my info correct.

Since they dont specify I can only assume and we all know what that mean...
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the input;

I do work for the DOD, but as of now they will only pay the maitenance fees and provide vouchers if your position requires it.

Keep in mind that only applies if you are a DoD civilian; if you are a contractor, you are SOL - DoD will NOT pay the maintenance fees on your behalf.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Okay I got my answer from CompTIA; you guys were correct.

"Thank you for contacting CompTIA. When you receive your CompTIA A+ and Network+ certification, you will not have to pay CE fees for them. They will fall under your Security+ certification, and everytime you renew your Security+ certification, those certifications will automatically be renewed."
  • Options
    ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Okay I got my answer from CompTIA; you guys were correct.

"Thank you for contacting CompTIA. When you receive your CompTIA A+ and Network+ certification, you will not have to pay CE fees for them. They will fall under your Security+ certification, and everytime you renew your Security+ certification, those certifications will automatically be renewed."

Ah! That's great to know! Thanks for contacting them for us. :D