Options

ESXi and SAN failure question

TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
Hi guys, hoping one of you VCP Experts can help me out here...

I have a few ESXi 3.5 servers and 2 Openfiler SANS. The issue is if you have a VM on a local disk, and 2 other discs connected (1 from each san) either mirrored up or seperate and lose connection to a san (unplug the network cable or shutdown the san) the VM's will freeze until connection is restored.

The 3.5 servers use the scsi0.returnBusyOnNoConnectStatus = “FALSE” flag and the VM’s have no issue’s if we drop one of our iscsi sans offline. They continue to run and do not lock up.

I’ve tried the same settings on ESXi 4.0, 4.1, 4.1u1, ESX 4.1u1 and I cannot get it to work. Everytime we disconnect them from the san the VM AND VSphere freeze…even just trying to go to “Edit Settings” we get a timeout error “Call “PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents” for object “ha-property-collector” on ESX “Server IP” failed”. Plug the san back in and the VM/Vsphere come back to life instantly.

If they're mirrored it should break the mirror and continue to run degraded. If not mirrored, one disk should just drop out as if you unplugged it.

Any ideas on how to get this flag to work on 4.0 and up?