Options

Physical lab or Virtual lab

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Been a long time reader of this site and just registered this morning. I am currently taking courses in school for the CCNA and ive decided to go the CCENT and ICND2 route. I have read through this forum a bit but I cannot decide on which holds the most advantage for passing this test.

Is it more useful to build a physical network from scratch or will I be ok with packet tracer? Also, since im doing the two test route, would it help to get a full blown CCNA book or specific books for each exam?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I would go with physical to start off with (it's an experience in itself) then go with GNS3. Wendell Odom has a page where he recommends the different routes to take with hands-on studying, it might be useful to read.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like having a real lab, but it can get expensive. I decided to do the two test route. I'm using the Odom book for the first test, and odom\ sysbex book for the second exam.

I found trying to use the sybex book for the ICND1 was going to be a pain because it was not broken down per test. The latest edition does. Use several resources to cover any gaps. I love the cbt nuggets.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can get like 3 c2501 routers for about 20-25 each on ebay...

I just started building my lab a month or so ago.

Was able to snag 3x 2501, for $60 bucks shipped.

Then i rolled the dice on a set of 4 2950 switches that were sold as is.
    $140 shipped, they all came and were all functional, just no power cords.
    X
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1721 routers and 2950 switches. Around $30 each on the 1721s and around 50 on the 2950s. 1-2 of each for ICND1 and 2-3 each on ICND2. As long as you get max memory on the 1721s you can use them all the way up to CCNP I believe, not bad for $30.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I just wrote about how I came to my decision in my blog. I'm a GNS3 guy now but I haven't always been, and I still have a real lab its just smaller now.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else; it's not something you have to decide one or the other. I have a small lab (2 2610's, 1 2610XM, 3 2950's and 1 3550). Sometimes I use those, sometimes I use gns3; it all depends on my mood.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    I've got both and both have their pros and cons.

GNS3 - Great to lab wherever you are (provided you've got a lappy) but I'm still struggling to get it to be stable. Sometimes I can lab a 4 router network for hours at a time and other times, the same project will crash within 5 minutes of starting all the routers. It also requires one to have the IOS of the device and running switches is a PITA

Real stuff - You're working with the real deal. GNS3 won't complain if you forget to set clock rate on the DCE. You also don't have the fun of trying to figure out config register issues or making sure all your cables are connected properly and to the right ports icon_lol.gif Down side is the cost but it is becoming very manageable these days as other posters have pointed out.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do not have much experience with virtual labs, so I really cannot comment on those. I am a big fan of physical labs though. I went through the trials and tribulations of e-bay shopping and learning what was worth buying and what wasn't mostly from this forum and the rest of the interwebs. The real fun came doing things at home with my gear though....Flash/Dram upgrades... Wic's...Tranceivers...USB-Serial Converters...DTE/DCE cables...IOS Upgrades...making your own cables...Access Servers...ROMMON....etc etc....
    I believe I learned a lot of valuable pieces of knowledge from building my own lab. You can probably do some of these with GNS3, and for using more expensive equipment, I can see where it would be beneficial to add virtual routers to a physical lab. I don't know if you can learn as much going strictly virtual though. Those with experience in both may disagree.
    As far as the books go ----I say read both. Check out Jeremy's CBT Nuggets if you can also.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GNS3 and Packet Tracer do not solve the "I've never touched a real router" problem. When you get a networking job, you're not going to be doing anything in a simulator.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't anyone have any concern about how your small lab at home may affect the electric bill? I have a small lab, but I never use it here at home with my parent since I moved out of my apartment nears my previous school, and I don't want my parent to complain about the noise or the electric bill since we're tight on money now. I'm currently trying to take advantage of GNS3 at full capacity, but I'm having trouble installing it in Ubuntu with QEMU fully functioning. I want to prepare my GNS3 for the CCNA Security and CCNP in the future.
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    I don't run my 5 routers and 3 switches 24 7. If I want to save the configs, I save them. If I don't, no copy run start on any of my devices.

Unless you have a rack full of devices, it really shouldn't make that much noise or increase your electric bill.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have mine in the basement again now. Depending on how much gear you have on at once, it can get loud, warm, and expensive. I only run mine when I am labbing something though. Maybe 10 hours a week usually and only 3 or 4 things at a time. I think my bill does go up a little when I am using the lab often, but we are on the budget billing plan, so it's all averaged over 12 months. Although I don't recommend it, I did see where someone on these forums disconnected the fans on their switches to keep the noise down. I would think they'd overheat too fast.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Geek1969 wrote: »
    I have mine in the basement again now. Depending on how much gear you have on at once, it can get loud, warm, and expensive. I only run mine when I am labbing something though. Maybe 10 hours a week usually and only 3 or 4 things at a time. I think my bill does go up a little when I am using the lab often, but we are on the budget billing plan, so it's all averaged over 12 months. Although I don't recommend it, I did see where someone on these forums disconnected the fans on their switches to keep the noise down. I would think they'd overheat too fast.

There is no way I'm taking off the fans off the switches and routers. I want to make sure that they are good enough for resale when I'm ready to give them up. I guess my 3 routers and 2 switches wouldn't hurt if I lab it for two hours every other days. FYI, I live in an apartment. Pardon me if I forgot to list my setup.

Here it is:
    2 2950-24 switches
    2 2610 routers
    1 2621 router
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    James

I too am in Orlando doing CCNA classes (at Herzing) where are you?

c0op3r
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Don't anyone have any concern about how your small lab at home may affect the electric bill?

I have a remote APC and I only turn my lab on when I need to. Otherwise it stays off.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i had thought of getting a physical lab but simply can't afford it. A 2nd hand cisco switch on ebay costs at least £30 ($60). Thats one switch no cables.

plus you have to consider storage space, electric bills.
    I live with parents so can't really see that as an option.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    i had thought of getting a physical lab but simply can't afford it. A 2nd hand cisco switch on ebay costs at least £30 ($60). Thats one switch no cables.

plus you have to consider storage space, electric bills.
    I live with parents so can't really see that as an option.
    You could use the lab over at PacketLife.
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    i'd say it bubbles down to expenses if you can afford it get real kit. i wouldn't bother with 2500's go for 2611XM's (or other 26xxXMS) or 1700's but the 26xxXM's will take you to CCIE level.

Switching wise if you can afford a couple of 3550's get em if not 2950's do quite a bit.

If moneys tight you can pass CCNA (and CCNA:Sec) purely on packet tracer i think they made all the courses that way so people in africa/asia etc can still learn in a classroom on any PC without needing routing kit.

its better to get proper kit but at the CCNA its not essential and although i have a full CCIE rack i often fire up GNS when i want to try something with 2- 3 devices. so dont be too bummed if moneys tight you can do it either wayicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    James

I too am in Orlando doing CCNA classes (at Herzing) where are you?

c0op3r

Im doing my Cisco classes in Valencia. I work in winter park, right across the street from a Herzing matter of fact.