Job offer / not 100% sure I should except

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
I guess I should start with my background and my future plans.

I've got:
  • 1 year experience as a Structured cabling technician for a company that does contract work for other companies. Most of the environments I worked in were retail.
  • I have a A.A.S. in networking technologies.
  • I have the CCENT, I plan on getting the CCNA in the next month or 2.
My ultimate goal is to become a Network Engineer.

So I got a job offer as a Technician doing structured cabling, pretty much the same thing I did in my last job but in government/business environments.

Currently I'm unemployed so I feel like I should take the job just because I don't have anything else going on for me, but on the other hand if I do take the job I'll feel like I need to give the company atleast 1 year before I move onto a better job.

Anyway I guess I should look at the pros and cons

Pros:
It's a job that pays money
It's experience working with the government

Cons:
It's a dirty and tiring job, working in the ceiling isn't always fun
If I take this job I'll kind of feel obligated to work there atleast a year.
Not sure if the work experience would really help my resume much.
The pay isn't where I want it to be.

If I don't take the job, I have enough money saved up I can wait awhile and I'll be fine, but on the other hand I'm not sure when the next opportunity will pop up again.
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tough spot.

I'd weigh in some other things:

Is there a low level clearance of any sort that will be issued to you? (naturally depends on what buildings the contract work would take place in)

Would this be officially "at-will" work? Is this "contract to hire, contract to perm" or just a contract?

I'm starting to see, I've read in other threads, that some jobs are now requiring you to currently have a job in order to apply? This may be a way to not got filtered out.

Final word: I'd honestly say take it if you can bear it (you mentioned it being a tiring and dirty job); the extra money wouldn't hurt and it'll give you time to plan ahead for the next move.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The clearance thing is a great point.

If you can get a clearance, and the CCNA, just take a week or two to study for the Security+ after that, and you can write your own ticket.

The job might suck a little, but the positive opportunities you'd gain with a clearance would be awesome.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you are in need of $ take the job
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    blackberry wrote: »
    if you are in need of $ take the job

Agreed, a job is better than no job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You shouldn't be obligated to stay... If you find something better, it is their job to try and keep you...

And just leave them out of your resume
    X
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Priston wrote: »
    I guess I should start with my background and my future plans.

I've got:
    • 1 year experience as a Structured cabling technician for a company that does contract work for other companies. Most of the environments I worked in were retail.
    • I have a A.A.S. in networking technologies.
    • I have the CCENT, I plan on getting the CCNA in the next month or 2.
    My ultimate goal is to become a Network Engineer.

So I got a job offer as a Technician doing structured cabling, pretty much the same thing I did in my last job but in government/business environments.

Currently I'm unemployed so I feel like I should take the job just because I don't have anything else going on for me, but on the other hand if I do take the job I'll feel like I need to give the company atleast 1 year before I move onto a better job.

Anyway I guess I should look at the pros and cons

Pros:
    It's a job that pays money
    It's experience working with the government

Cons:
    It's a dirty and tiring job, working in the ceiling isn't always fun
    If I take this job I'll kind of feel obligated to work there atleast a year.
    Not sure if the work experience would really help my resume much.
    The pay isn't where I want it to be.

If I don't take the job, I have enough money saved up I can wait awhile and I'll be fine, but on the other hand I'm not sure when the next opportunity will pop up again.

Take the job. It keeps you in the game and is relevent experience in IT. Finish the CCNA and keep punting for better jobs. You need not stay there a year, just long enough to get something else. This is no time to be unemployed so stick it out. Over the next 3 years long term unemployed people will be ground into powder in the employability stakes.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I don't think you should "except" anything, but you may want to "accept" this job. ;)
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    I don't think you should "except" anything, but you may want to "accept" this job. ;)
    I must be dyslexic

We'll since everyone thinks I should take the job I'm leaning towards that way, plus if I don't take the job I most likely will regret not taking the job.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say take it. You never know who you will meet while you are working and could lead to a better opportunity. Just embrace the fact that you can work part of your day and still study for any certs you are after. Besides, a little extra money never hurt anyone! Good luck!