Options

Seeking career change at Age 30

robk100robk100 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm seeking a career change, right now I'm currently working in education, but would like to enter a hot sector in the IT industry. I've always been interested in computers and been somewhat good with them. I took some programming classes in college but have since forgotten everything because it was 10 years ago. I graduated from a good school and have my BA. All the work experience I have has nothing to do with IT.

In particular, I was looking at Database Administration or Database Development. How do I go about pursuing a career path into these fields? Should I try to get an entry level job at a help desk, while going to a boot camp and starting earning certs? Take classes at an extension program, or get a post-bacc? Go back to school fulltime for a degree in computer science? For you professionals out there or those with a similar story to me I'm curious about the best possible way to attack making this career change.

I appreciate all the advice and help. Thanks.

Rob

Comments

• Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest you use some of the free resources on the internet and teach/relearn the basics of databases & DBA. Then look for a non-profit that you can donate your time (tax right off), develop your skills, build your resume, and network. These forums can probably highlight the free resources you can check out. You already have a Bachelors degree, Just redevelop your skills as a DBA, develope your experience and you should be able to get in the door to move up.

Regards,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Rob,
    In 2003 I was exactly in your position. I had worked for a decade as an English as a Foreign Language instructor in Brazil and came back to the States where my experience was useless. I had 0 IT experience and knew very little about computers or networking. I started off getting a job at the Geek Squad and volunteering for a couple small businesses doing their networks and installing Windows Small Business Server 2003. I got my first real IT job via a friend who was an assistant instructor for an MCSE boot camp I was attending. By 2008 I was working as a Network and Systems Admin for a small manufacturing firm but I was specializing in SQL Server and SharePoint. In August of 2010 I finally got my dream job working fulltime with SharePoint/SQL Server integration. I believe that the key for me was being a very capable generalist. This allowed me to get into a position where I was working with SQL Server and I was able to build reports and integrate features with SharePoint that my employer “had no idea was even possible to get out of the database.” But really it was nothing special. I was just being creative in how to leverage new technologies. I worked my butt off for next to nothing in that position. I earned certification after certification and put my knowledge into practice and after nearly 7 years it paid off. My current employer hired me because of my wide range of knowledge from server administration to development and everything I learned from my MCDST to my MCSE to my MCITPs have been stretched and used. I’m in the most challenging and rewarding phase of my life and I love it. If you want to break into the database world I can only say one thing: take your time. It is going to take a long time for you to master the fundamentals that you need to know before you can even begin to learn the basics of SQL Server or some other RDBMS. Good luck!
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    robk100 wrote: »
    I'm seeking a career change, right now I'm currently working in education, but would like to enter a hot sector in the IT industry. I've always been interested in computers and been somewhat good with them. I took some programming classes in college but have since forgotten everything because it was 10 years ago. I graduated from a good school and have my BA. All the work experience I have has nothing to do with IT.

In particular, I was looking at Database Administration or Database Development. How do I go about pursuing a career path into these fields? Should I try to get an entry level job at a help desk, while going to a boot camp and starting earning certs? Take classes at an extension program, or get a post-bacc? Go back to school fulltime for a degree in computer science? For you professionals out there or those with a similar story to me I'm curious about the best possible way to attack making this career change.

I appreciate all the advice and help. Thanks.

Rob
    I know how you feel! I changed into IT after I turned 40. I was already working in telecoms, most of it digital, so I thought that would give me a leg up, and in many ways it did. Still, many old-school telecoms skills aren't directly transferable. Working on networks for cell phone companies isn't the same as an IP-based network; configuring telecom switches isn't configuring Cisco or Juniper switches. IT deals mostly with Ethernet RJ45 cables; telecom has about a million types of cables, most of them proprietary.
    Still, my background did help, and studying for certs also helped me, real studying. I landed my first IT job, after acing a phone interview about in-depth IP networking technologies and protocols. Also helped that I am a computer hobbiest
    I figure if I could make transistion, anyone can.

Then again, I figure if a lady can make her first album at 120 years old, I'll never be too old to learn anything...