Revisiting Cisco certs

emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

I have decided to sit the 640-822 exam. I did the CCNA a few years ago but its expired and I havent done much networking since. I sold off all my cisco kit long ago so will be using GNS and packet tracer.

Having a look through the ccent exam objectives it mentions:

"•Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping"

Having never used SDM before I am not sure if this is going to be an issue due to not having any cisoco kit anymore. I see that I can download ASDM from the cisco site but a bit stumped on how I can use it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have setup a home router like a linksys you will be fine. For CCENT, you only need to know how to walk through the wizard. The images in most study books are good enough to learn the information. I've never used GNS, so I'm not sure if you could run the SDM software on your PC and connect to the IOS in GNS.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    emsrescue wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have decided to sit the 640-822 exam. I did the CCNA a few years ago but its expired and I havent done much networking since. I sold off all my cisco kit long ago so will be using GNS and packet tracer.

Having a look through the ccent exam objectives it mentions:

"•Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping"

Having never used SDM before I am not sure if this is going to be an issue due to not having any cisoco kit anymore. I see that I can download ASDM from the cisco site but a bit stumped on how I can use it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1. Try the GNS3 tutorial.
    Download GNS3 from SourceForge.net
    (Check page 27, where it tells you how to connect the virtual environment to your real PC network)

2. Search for youtube videos on SDM and GNS3.

3. SDM is a very simple point-and-click interface. As long as you practice the items on the syllabus, you should be good, and it won't be too challenging.

If you want more ideas about what it takes to pass, look at this post:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/66510-my-journey-ccna-640-802-a.html
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you have setup a home router like a linksys you will be fine. For CCENT, you only need to know how to walk through the wizard. The images in most study books are good enough to learn the information. I've never used GNS, so I'm not sure if you could run the SDM software on your PC and connect to the IOS in GNS.

Yes, you can connect the GNS3 to a real network.

See page 27 of this guide:
    Download GNS3 from SourceForge.net

Note: It might require reading the entire guide, to get a good understanding.

Also, another note:

The root of the software is the dynamips/dynagen. Don't get distracted with the entire GNS3 thing, it's just a frontend, that makes it a lot more accessible to more people. The dynamips is what's emulating the router hardware for you.

I remember first encountering dynamips back in '06 when someone from a site I used to use a lot: certcities.com put me up on it, and I thought it was sooo, awesome at the time.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)