Options

Question regarding default routing in Juniper (OSPF and BGP)

mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
  1. In Cisco default routes can be propagated by using the default information originate always even if a static default route does not exist in the routing table. Is there a similar command for JUNOS?
  2. In BGP a default route can also be sent to a neighbor by using "default-originate" command, Is there one similar in Juniper? I created a policy and exported an exact default route 0.0.0.0/0 but it wasnt sent to the neighbor

I will be adding more question as I read the JUNOS cookbook and play around with JUNOS to figure out how it works.

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    In Junos you'll need to create a default route (0.0.0.0/0) that is resolvable, that is the next hop needs to be reachable through the routing table, before you can advertise it.

A simple, and often used, way to do this is to create a 0/0 static route that has the next hop of discard. This will allow the default route to become active in the routing table and then it can be advertised to which ever routing protocol you desire.

HTH
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Thank you sir, it worked like magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Next question

What is the easiest way to learn switching in JUNOS since it is not supported in Olive. I don't have money to buy those expensive switches on ebay
  • Options
    froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    buy a SRX100.

You'll get ethernet-switching capabilities, obviously not to the degree of an actual EX-series switch but its a start.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Yip, I agree with froggy. You can get a srx100 pretty cheap off of ebay and you'll have most of the switching capabilities that you'll find on the EX switches. Not to mention all the firewall and routing capabilities you'll get too. :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender