Sybex Project + Study Guide input...

the_wondererthe_wonderer Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm assuming this is the main book I would use for studying? Is it enough to pass this exam? Are all the current Project + tests updated to 2009 version? Thanks all.

Comments

• PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I'm assuming this is the main book I would use for studying? Is it enough to pass this exam? Are all the current Project + tests updated to 2009 version? Thanks all.

That's the book I'm using along with the WGU supplied ucertify. I haven't taken the test yet but I've seen the book recommended.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This book was excellent: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Project-Study-Guide-PK0-003/dp/0470585927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309229453&sr=8-1

I would have to say that the book that WGU sends is woefully insufficient by itself.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This book was excellent: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Project-Study-Guide-PK0-003/dp/0470585927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309229453&sr=8-1

I would have to say that the book that WGU sends is woefully insufficient by itself.

Agreed!

This was the book I used to pass.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

I used this book as well. The WGU suplied book bites the big one.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long did you guys spend studying?

I'm studying for the PMP right now, but I'm thinking about taking Project+ after too since it doesn't expire.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm studying for the PMP right now, but I'm thinking about taking Project+ after too since it doesn't expire.

That's like buying and driving an S-Class Mercedes and deciding you want to buy and drive a Chevy Aveo....icon_lol.gif

Practical reasons aside from wanting to do that, a PMP has more weight than Project+. Also, if you can pass PMP, you wouldn't need to study for Project+ as the objectives are nearly identical; it's just that the PMP is much more involved than Project+.

Don't get me wrong though...Project+ is a good cert to get you familiar with taking a high level PM exam like the PMP, but the fact that it's lifetime isn't a good enough reason to stop going for the PMP, IMO. It's a beginning, not an end.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    That's like buying and driving an S-Class Mercedes and deciding you want to buy and drive a Chevy Aveo....icon_lol.gif

Practical reasons aside from wanting to do that, a PMP has more weight than Project+. Also, if you can pass PMP, you wouldn't need to study for Project+ as the objectives are nearly identical; it's just that the PMP is much more involved than Project+.

Don't get me wrong though...Project+ is a good cert to get you familiar with taking a high level PM exam like the PMP, but the fact that it's lifetime isn't a good enough reason to stop going for the PMP, IMO. It's a beginning, not an end.

LOL

Sad thing is I wrecked the Chevy Aveo the first time I drove it. Image what I would do with that S class? :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

It's what I ended up using. It was a solid book, but I had to read it 2 times. Now that I work as a service manager I could blow through that exam. If I only would of waited 2 years lol.