HTTP server

UndertowUndertow Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello to all techexams' users ,

I have a static ip assigned to my pc using a dsl connection.
I want to make my pc an http server in order to be able to upload a website.
I would be very glad if you could give me some resources on how to achieve this.
I appreciate your help ,

Mike

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Are you running XP pro? if so this is a fairly simple process, you need to install IIS, its no installed on the default install. Once installed it is simple to setup, you select which folder will be your website then load your files into it.

Next you have to set you DLS router to forward incoming packets on port 80 to go to your PC, this is easier if you PC is configured for a static IP on your lan rather than a dhcp assigned one. This is normally setup in the applications and games section of your router.

Finally you need to need to decide how you want people to access you web server, you could register your own domain name and set the tags to your static ip (wan). Alternitively head over to no-ip.com a tool I use myself, this provides dynamic dns, you can either use a youriste.no-ip.com for free or they offer TLD (top level domain) names for a small fee. The program runs on your PC and updates the DNS servers with you IP.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Or you could install a Linux distro and run Apache :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • UndertowUndertow Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you wildfire , I installed IIS and it says that my web server is running.
    I have a 836 cisco router and i gave the command : no ip http server , because when i wrote my wan ip to the browser , a window message for giving a username and pass for the router appeared instead of loading the files from the wwroot of the iis.
    Now when i type my wan ip to my browser , "the message cannot be displayed".

Is there any setting to iis that allows me when I put my wan ip to my browser to load the files from wwwroot normally?