Options

Outrageous Job Requirements!?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I just have to say that my current job role has a very varied description and list of skills required. To be fair, it was very difficult to land the job, with tons of interviews and screenings. I have had a couple interviews over the years where they want you to know a boatload of technologies and when you actually talk to someone in charge it turns out you will never touch half of the things on the list.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes they are checking if you are prepared for the new direction they are going or could be going.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Something to consider about these "outrageous" job postings; I've learned that in many jobs the hiring manager/team has already decided who they are going to fill that job with. In the USA, at least, the posting is done for legal, regulatory, and company compliance. I can see them exaggerating to discourage genuine applicants. This could be a fairly high percentage of the posted jobs. Even when I applied as an internal candidate, I was often told the position was created to give an existing employee a promotion or new roles.

Another "trick" I learned from a British boss I had was that many companies will post positions just so they can collect resumes/CVs, prior to soliciting or responding to an RFP. They then will have a collection of talented resumes to present to the client company - to brag they have lots of talent, but never have any intention of hiring any of them. Here I can see an HR staffer writing outlandish job requirements to attract resumes of highly-skilled workers. Again, this is completely legal in the USA even with government contractors (many who actively practice this technique).
    My experience suggests job posting with words like "upcoming project" or "for a major client" seems to indicate they are still trying to win the bid and are just collecting resumes at this stage, though if they win the bid they may hire additional staff. Decide for yourself if its worth taking your time to persue.