Options

Typical Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Lonely Island song Like a Boss is a typical day for me, especially the part where I turn into a jet and crash into the sun.

I always get to work by 7:45 and leave around 7:30 - 8 depending on the projects we have going on. This week I've been leaving at 5:30 though, which has been nice for my wife.

We have three "seasons", busy season is 1/1 - 4/15 or so and that is 8-7 work days shared between two people in my department. project season is 4/16 or so until 7/1 where we accomplish everything we couldn't during busy season with hours from 8 - 8 typically, though it goes until midnight some nights depending on problems and planned downtime.

Third season which I haven't experienced yet is quiet season which is just breakfix, long lunches, and leaving at 5 daily except one day a week when you leave early. I don't think this season actually exists!

Title is Network Administrator.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    The Lonely Island song Like a Boss is a typical day for me, especially the part where I turn into a jet and crash into the sun.

Hit on Debra, get rejected! Love that song!
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Everyone wrote: »
    We do plenty of work, it's just often in spurts.

On the operations/support side of things, you're sitting around waiting for something to break or go wrong. It may seem like you're not busy until something does, but then when it does, you'll be VERY VERY busy. As a Systems Administrator, I always said if you're busy all the time, then you aren't very good at your job. You should be able to keep things stable without too much effort.

On the consultant side of things, you'll be busy all the time, if you're not, then you aren't making any money.

Architects, Engineers, Developers, and any other roles that revolve around completing projects, will only be busy when there are projects to be completed. If you complete all your projects, and the company doesn't have the budget to start any new ones, you won't be busy again until funds are released to start more projects.

If you are a System Administrator and your the only one and your not busy at least 6 hours out of the day then your system must be very small and have wide gaping security flaws.