the floppy

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
BBC News - 40 ways we still use floppy disks

i cant believe they are still in use, i wonder what will happen when they run out because sony made the last box a year ago and they were the last manufactures
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BBC News - 40 ways we still use floppy disks

i cant believe they are still in use, i wonder what will happen when they run out because sony made the last box a year ago and they were the last manufactures

Common misconception; Sony was the last maker of the physical drive and stopped making them. The media is still made by several vendors including biggies like Verbatim and Imation and maybe Sony unless that is a causality of the disaster. As long as people still buy it there will always be media manfacturing. 9 track tape anyone?
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Somebody will always make them, it might just be an unknown company.

I picked up a stack a couple years ago free from college. I was intending to go through them with a hex editor but never found the time.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We have scopes here that only work with Floppy's!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I still have hundreds in boxes and bags a few feet away from me. I plan to copy the 3.5" that are still readable to a CD some day.

Here's a fresh pic of a "more recent" floppy, I should have some Windows 2.1 floppies hidden somewhere although those are on 5.25" and I haven't kept a reading device for those.

Also found Windows 95 disk 23-25, not sure where the rest is icon_lol.gif
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    I still have hundreds in boxes and bags a few feet away from me. I plan to copy the 3.5" that are still readable to a CD some day.

Here's a fresh pic of a "more recent" floppy, I should have some Windows 2.1 floppies hidden somewhere although those are on 5.25" and I haven't kept a reading device for those.

Also found Windows 95 disk 23-25, not sure where the rest is icon_lol.gif

ive got pc dos on disk some were as well ... it has the old ibm logo on it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We were using floppies only a few years ago when building IBM x series servers to upgrade firmware. It was simple and they were rewritable so I could keep using the same set.

Don't know about floppies now but the USB FDD's are damned expensive ($80).
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Don't know about floppies now but the USB FDD's are damned expensive ($80).
    Check eBay, new ones are available for <$20. I use one manufactured by Teac since it works under Windows XP/2003 setup (others brands I've used aren't detected), e.g. for adding drivers or an answer file.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check eBay, new ones are available for <$20. I use one manufactured by Teac since it works under Windows XP/2003 setup (others brands I've used aren't detected), e.g. for adding drivers or an answer file.

Thats where I bought mine. Something like $15 and it works like a charm.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You got my attention on this topic. I have a MS-DOS 6.0 floppy at my collection : )
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    We still use them at work, only once a year. When we do our yearly store inventory, the counts for the items (approx. 25-27,000 different SKU's) is loaded to a floppy that gets uploaded to the system to "update" the counts. We then spend the next few weeks fixing them.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I still have all my original Windows 3.11 disks, unfortunalty not in its original packing but they still work
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At least a lot of manufacturer of raid cards for example,, implemented firmware updates through Windows or Linux. The only time when we need floppies are bios updates, IPMI resets (management cards) etc. But most motherboards can boot from USB and you can easily create a bootable DOS USB stick which has all the tools on it ... Or CDs but you'd have to recreate them obviously when you need to update some files.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p