Back on the Cisco path again

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wanted to say that I'm real excited to get back on the cisco CCENT/CCNA path again after trying to pursue the programming stuff which just does not click with me. I've been in I.T. for about 10 years mostly doing Nortel Telecommunications with some help desk and Data Center Web Application monitoring as well. I have taken CCNA classes in the past with real routers and all and have taken the test twice in 2002 and 2003 I think, came close both times. Anyway Im thinking of going at it again and I know it may take some time but Im thinking of using the cbt nuggets videos with packet tracer and maybe boson tests and try to get as much hands on as possible. I also have todd lammles old book that I was thinking of using for learning the subnetting which I might do first because in my opinion thesubnetting should be in the first chapter in all these books because you really have to have that down for the test. Just wanted advice from anyone who has passed it. Another friend of mine just bought the new todd lammle book and used that along with Packet Tracer annd scored real good.
Thanks

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's two books to choose from really, Todd Lammle's book and Wendell Odom's book. Odom goes more in depth, but Lammle is a more entertaining read. You can check out the previews on Google Books to see which writing style you prefer. Better yet, grab them both because it's always better to have multiple sources to study from. You can supplement the book(s) with the CBT Nuggets or TrainSignals videos.

For hands on stuff, visit freeccnaworkbook.com and/or download the free lab manuals listed in the CCNA FAQ sticky. If you have some experience with routers and switches, Packet Tracer or GNS3 will be good enough for labbing. Free CCNA Workbook even starts out with a couple labs walking you through setting up GNS3.

When you think you're ready for the test, look at this page to find the exam topics for which ever test you're about to take. Registration is required, but it's free and quick. Make sure you know all of the info and can do all of the things they want you to be able to implement inside and out.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Ive always been a big fan of Cisco Press Publications and CBT Nuggets. Jeremy got me through my CCNA. lol.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much guys for your help. Its good to have a place like this to come to with people who are trying to do the same thing. Itook it a couple of times before years ago and did not pass. Got 707 I think the first time and 809 the second time. The second time I used Todd Lammle but I really like the CBT nuggets videos along with Packet Tracer and the test from Boson. I may just go that route and I will keep you guys posted.