11.0.0.0/8

Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
As an alternative to RFC1918 addressing - has anybody encountered use of 11.0.0.0/8 addressing in the real world? It seems the US DoD was allocated the range but it's marked as non-routeable (and no longer used anyway). A vendor has suggested it might help a situation where we have many overlapping networks (due to mergers/acquisitions).

Any thoughts....?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You've got enough ranges that you've completely used up 10.0.0.0/8 and the other RFC1918 ranges??!

As for using 11.0.0.0/8, I wouldn't. It may not be used at the moment (I've no idea) but you've no idea whats going to happen in the future. I've seen setups where they've just picked a number out of thin air and figured oh well we'll never need to access whatever is there. Its always caused trouble down the line especially when it comes to needing special documentation on it.

What vendor gave out this bad advice anyway?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've seen it used before without issue, but I'd avoid if possible and stick to rfc1918 space.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen it used before without issue, but I'd avoid if possible and stick to rfc1918 space.

One can use gasoline to put out a cigarette, that does not mean you should do it. So I agree and would avoid it.

The worst networks I have ever worked on were ones that when the difficult choices had to be made the people making them tried to be clever and avoid doing the hard work of correcting the problems confronting them. Years later this compounded where bad choices, seemingly harmless in isolation, eventually caused so many issues the easiest thing to do was start over from scratch. Every tragedy that has ever occured in human history is like this. Bad choices that have been made in isolation day after day suddenly all come together in a perfect storm.

This is the thing I have struggled with getting a PFY friend of mine to understand. "You are not as smart as you think. It's already been thought of. Learn from the people who have gone before you as they f'd things up so you don't have to."