Consulting on the Side

Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I've asked around and a few folks that I know are consulting on the side taking on projects that are IT related. Server build outs, pc fixes, designs etc. They do this on the weekends/after hours for a little extra income.

Is this legal? They have full time jobs with an IT company performing the same duties. Would this be considered conflict of interest?

I've never really gotten a clear answer on it.

Thanks

Comments

• EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on agreements signed at hire.

When I was working as a codemonkey for a large manufacturing company a few years ago I was able to do freelance programming work on the side...providing I didn't do any freelance programming for a similar company.

With the job I've just gotten I'll be doing tech support & database work. I signed an agreement to not work with a similar company and to not reveal any specifics of the work I was doing to anyone. But nothing beyond that. So I imagine if I wanted to I could do repair/tech support/database work without any issues.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Crucio666 wrote: »
    Is this legal? They have full time jobs with an IT company performing the same duties. Would this be considered conflict of interest?

No, you need to be in a position of trust, with an expectation of some degree of impartiality to create a conflict of interest. For example, most C-level executives expose themselves to legal liability if they follow through on a conflict without recusing themselves.

Us average joe down in the trenches guys? We're not in a position of trust, nor are we expected to be impartial. About the only way you'll get into any kind of trouble that may bring down litigation is if you were dumb enough to sign an agreement that limited your ability to work, and you're in a place where it's actually enforceable.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello Everyone,

I've asked around and a few folks that I know are consulting on the side taking on projects that are IT related. Server build outs, pc fixes, designs etc. They do this on the weekends/after hours for a little extra income.

I've never really gotten a clear answer on it.

Thanks

Two potential issues.

1. Check the small print of the contract you signed with your existing fulltime employer
    2. Taxes. Pay them.
  • Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone ever took side projects while employed? How are the policies at your current position?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Anyone ever took side projects while employed? How are the policies at your current position?

I generally pull in an extra 10 to 20k a year from side projects. I don't tell them about it.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If someone works for a consulting company, they generally are required to sign a non-compete that says they will not do work that is in competition with the employer. If they are doing the same type of work, they need to be sure that they are servicing customers that would not be advantageous to their employer, either due to size, billable rate, or industry.

My employer has certain type of client and so long as I am not going after those clients, I am fine as long as I am under about 16 hours per week.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Just don't be dumb enough to do it during your normal work hours. Also don't use your primary employers equipment to do it. I.e. don't setup jobs using your work e-mail, phone, network, etc.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Just don't be dumb enough to do it during your normal work hours. Also don't use your primary employers equipment to do it. I.e. don't setup jobs using your work e-mail, phone, network, etc.

Exactly. People watch behavior closely at work. When at work, do the job you are paid to do or you may never understand why you didn't get that contract renewal..