I have grass problem...

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys, I got some serious problem. The grass in my backyard is getting worse every summer. I have to admit that I don't mow my lawn every week. I just don't have time due to busy schedule. I have not play any games these past few days.

Does anyone know any kind of chemical that will prevent these types of grass from growing?
It is getting harder and harder to cut them down. I just need something that will make them grow slower or may be something that will stop them from growing.

This what I have in my backyard.
grass.jpg

Thank you in advance,

thm
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    050210071.jpg
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thehourman wrote: »
    Hey guys, I got some serious problem. The grass in my backyard is getting worse every summer. I have to admit that I don't mow my lawn every week. I just don't have time due to busy schedule. I have not play any games these past few days.

Does anyone know any kind of chemical that will prevent these types of grass from growing?
    It is getting harder and harder to cut them down. I just need something that will make them grow slower or may be something that will stop them from growing.

This what I have in my backyard.
    grass.jpg

Thank you in advance,

thm

Get 5-10 gallons of round up and spray for 4 hours straight. You will bring those weeds down to their knees.
  • EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's quite a forest you have there. Takes me back to when I was a young lad and my parents made me cut the grass with a pair of scissors if I royally screwed something up.

Off hand the only thing I could think of to reduce the rate of growth is to kill everything there and replace it with a strain of grass that grows more slowly.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Round up sucks! Does anyone know of a better everything killer?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for a mining company and could give you a 20 page list of chemicals that will kill all green stuff for the next 50 years lol! But I doubt you could get it a the hardware store ;)

What about ripping out the grass and putting in some patio stones/gravel? Something other than grass then you don't have to worry about it?
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    @Euclidjones
    They are about 3' high, and it took them three weeks to grow that high.

@terryfera
    My first plan was to put some cement or something that will prevent the grass from growing. I think it requires a permit from the Homeowners if they are going to allow me to cement my backyard.

Thank for mentioning that might be the easiest way, is using some patio stones; and underneath of it some liners that will prevent water from reaching the soil. However, I do not know if it requires a permit.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Gotta admit, I thought you had a different kind of grass problem at first. THe kind you go to rehab for.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is a wee bit more than a grass problem
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mishra wrote: »
    Round up sucks! Does anyone know of a better everything killer?

Round up does not suck. You have to get the concentrate. You obviouly have had very limited exposure to industrial strengh killers.

I am assuming you have gone to Wal Mart or one of those stores and purchased the little hand spray stuff.

You can mix your own and make it as strong as you would like. I sprayed some concentrate between the cracks off my driveway and grass hasn't grown for over 2 years.

http://www.epestsolutions.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=epestsolutions&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=roundup-pro-max-herbicide-glyphosate-gal&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=pricegrabber

This is the real Round Up not the junk you are talking about
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Be a man and pull it out with your bare hands, that's what i've been doing yesterday, my back still hurts and my "grass problem" was a lot worse :)
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    burn it with a propain torch
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    deth1k wrote: »
    Be a man and pull it out with your bare hands, that's what i've been doing yesterday, my back still hurts and my "grass problem" was a lot worse :)
    That's what I did to get rid of them.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Round up does not suck. You have to get the concentrate. You obviouly have had very limited exposure to industrial strengh killers.

I am assuming you have gone to Wal Mart or one of those stores and purchased the little hand spray stuff.

You can mix your own and make it as strong as you would like. I sprayed some concentrate between the cracks off my driveway and grass hasn't grown for over 2 years.

Roundup Pro Max Concentrated Herbicide Glyphosate 1.67 Gallon

This is the real Round Up not the junk you are talking about

This is what I've tried.

Amazon.com: Round-up Concentrate 64 Oz Model 5006010 Pack of 6: Patio, Lawn & Garden
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    These chemicals are really expensive. I think I might go for the patio stone route since they are like about .44c per block.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Round-up DOES suck. IT's not the same as it was 20 years ago and even if you get a kill with it, you're left with 'dead' tall weeds.

First, get a brush hog if your weeds are too tall and thick for a regular mower.

Second, stay on top of your mowing. I hear you on the lack of time, but seriously, you cannot afford 20-30 minutes a week to mow your turf? Hire a teenager if you cannot cut it yourself.

Third, there are several ways to handle this problem, but keeping the weeds from going to seed will be your first step. If you don't know how to spray, what to spray and how to use a concentrate safely, then don't bother spraying. The consumer grade products have been abused over the years and today we are left with almost nothing 'good' unless you have an applicators license (depends on your State laws...but at least I do have mine).

From your photo, you don't have a 'grass' problem though, you don't have any turf that is visible and hence have a weed problem. Grass is that tall ornimental stuff that folks stick in their yard as a shrub. Turfgrass is that nice soft green groundcover that requires approximately weekly mowing (maybe every 2 weeks) and approximately 1" of water a week (no more). ;)

The weeds you show, are easily pulled. I'd spend a day pulling if it were me.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    borrow somebody's Goat for a few days! That will get rid of the weeds.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Am I missing something? It's a small space of tall weeds. Yank em out in 10 minutes.

Dunno about it the states, but here Roundup will destroy anything it touches.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Am I missing something? It's a small space of tall weeds. Yank em out in 10 minutes.

If the total problem is that photo area...then pulling is the best remedy, agreed.

Frankly, upon looking at this, it actually looks more like a flower bed area rather than turfgrass area...hence the weeds (i.e. someone hasn't stayed up on the flower planting and mulching. )
    Dunno about it the states, but here Roundup will destroy anything it touches.

Our selection of chemicals for residential use has become very limited. And in many cases (as I watch folks apply chemicals) I am greatful for the heavier regulations. Over applying chemicals (or willfully going against how they are labeled for use) has caused damaged to wetlands/rivers/etc.. and such through run off and accumulated downstream run-off.

Golf courses use far more chemicals than home owners (and water the crap out of turf grass to the point everything either leaches through the sandy/loam soils or runs off), however home owners have done their share of damage.

To the point, Monsanto has changed the forumlation and what once gave a great kill, no longer does. One could argue about resistance build up in plants (which is part of the reason to change the formulation)...however, the results today are NOT what folks recall them being and in the end, IF you get the kill you want (remember once, this stuff hits soil it is the effectiveness is gone) you are left with dead plants...and you'll still need to pull them out.

SO

Help yourself out and pull first, mulch the area if you are not planting more turfgrass with a wood chip type mulch. NEVER use that fabric or worse yet plastic as a barrier...the soil needs to breath and water (to save flooding or run-off issues) needs to be absorbed into the ground. You'll kill the soil if you smother it with plastic and ground fabric merely becomes a maintainence nightmare.

It's ok on spot treatments, in corn fields or as an attempt for a large area quick-stun, but really, I'd avoid using it for this situation.
    (IMNSHO)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oxyclean powder. I spilled some of the mix I made on a small patch of grass. It was dead the next day. Depending on what you want to do with the area, you could just pull them by hand. Blackberry spray will also kill grass.

If it makes you feel better I weeded a 40 x 50 foot area by hand, twice. Of course, I was dating the woman who would become my wife....so I had a lot of energy at the time.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »

NEVER use that fabric or worse yet plastic as a barrier...the soil needs to breath and water (to save flooding or run-off issues) needs to be absorbed into the ground. You'll kill the soil if you smother it with plastic and ground fabric merely becomes a maintainence nightmare.

(IMNSHO)

+1 I had to clean up a about 200 feet of path that had fabric on it, covered with pea gravel.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Oxyclean powder. I spilled some of the mix I made on a small patch of grass. It was dead the next day. Depending on what you want to do with the area, you could just pull them by hand. Blackberry spray will also kill grass.

If it makes you feel better I weeded a 40 x 50 foot area by hand, twice. Of course, I was dating the woman who would become my wife....so I had a lot of energy at the time.

Oxyclean would be the same as using H2O2 and that extra O burns the plant, but then this isn't a listed use of the product ;)

Vinegar is very helpful in the landscape. It can be used to modify (short-term) the pH of the soil and subsequently aid or hinder a plant (or algae).

Yet for the OP, situation, I"m still back with PULL the weed icon_cheers.gif

AND as you have stated, weeding is therapeutic and beneficial during a relationship...so a bonus! icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well we must have some Wile E Coyote style overkill when money is no object. Handles ants and wasps too.

Weed Killer | Magazine
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've heard that something called agent orange might help. I'm sure if you asked a government johnny near you they'd be happy to sell you some and reduce their stockpile. icon_twisted.gif

Seriously though it's not really a grass problem. As others have mentioned the easiest way to clear the area would be to pull the weeds out by hand. You could try watering the 'garden' for about 20 minutes to make the weeds easier to pull out (or hire one of the local kids to stop them hanging out on the street corner).
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Get a tank of Diesel. Then salt the earth icon_lol.gif Seemed to work for a school in Hamilton NZ (NSFW)

Google Maps
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a cheap weed trimmer. I have also leaned that used motor oil will leave the area it's spilled in weed/grass-free for years (the obvious downside though it that it can pollute groundwater.)
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not try the good old American way: Agent Orange :)

Works great on the weeds but not so great for you.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.