Options

Paper Certifications

I have one certification. Its Security+ and I wouldn't have it, hadn't it been for the DOD requirement. Now I'm being forced to get another, Oracle's Solaris System Administration Certification. Now actually this is a cert I want, but not under these constraints. We have less than two months to pass both tests required for this certification. So far, outside of classes, I have found two books, both by Bill Calkins. The first is 738 pages, for the first test, and the 2nd is roughly 600. We are being told this is another DOD requirement, yet I don't see it spelled out like it was for Sec+. Furthermore, I'm just rushing through these books and doubt that I remember much beyond the test, even if I get through the test. This is the kind of thing that yields paper certifications. Everyone is rushing and preparing for the exams. Management is asking how far along we are in our studies, and if we have scheduled our test yet. If the intent was to promote these certs to assure a certain level of competence, this isn't getting it done. Depending on where you sit in out organization, you need an Oracle DBA cert, a MS cert, or like me, a Solaris cert. If I am lucky enough to pass the test, I won't feel anymore qualified than I was before this was forced on me. In my opinion this is the type of thing that gives certification a bad reputation and ends up with people that only a paper certification and no real world knowledge. Most of what I have learned since I've been on this job is how thing fit together, it really had nothing to do with the learning of Solaris, it was how the network was laid out, how to access machines, and how to catch small problems before they got big. This new requirement is really not going to help me to my job better, its just one more requirement.

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I thought the purpose of the certifications was based upon the operating environment that you worked in.

If you're working in XYZ environment, then they want XYZ certification.

It's not necessarily spelled out to say which operating environment certification you get, but the same regulation that says you need Security+, SSCP, CEH, etc. depending on what job you do in DoD, according to Information Assurance, also provides for an open-ended statement that says you need Operating Environment certification, also.

So, if you're doing DoD UNIX, that probably means Solaris certification.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    instant000 wrote: »
    I thought the purpose of the certifications was based upon the operating environment that you worked in.

If you're working in XYZ environment, then they want XYZ certification.

It's not necessarily spelled out to say which operating environment certification you get, but the same regulation that says you need Security+, SSCP, CEH, etc. depending on what job you do in DoD, according to Information Assurance, also provides for an open-ended statement that says you need Operating Environment certification, also.

So, if you're doing DoD UNIX, that probably means Solaris certification.

But unlike Sec+ requirement, I didn't see any dates. It was pretty clear on the dates for Security+. I have been here less that a year, and once I got in the door, was told I needed Security+. I finished that last year. Earlier this year we were told we needed these new certs, but not given a date. I kept asking when was the drop dead date. Finally last month we were told we needed it by August 1st. I have found anything that points to that date written anywhere.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Quite frankly I wish that certifications didn't exist. Way too much importance is based on them when experience should truly determine ones competence to do the job. Certifications are money machines which may or may not determine ones ability and knowledge.

I have mine only because I would be at a competitive disadvantage in the job market without them, and that is a shame.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I feel your pain. I just started working in the wonderful world of DoD requirements. It's crazy how many people are scrambling around trying to pass this or that within 6 months of hire....including me, lol.

I'm actually learning a good deal from my CISSP studying, though. It's boring as hell, but has alot of good info.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    Quite frankly I wish that certifications didn't exist. Way too much importance is based on them when experience should truly determine ones competence to do the job. Certifications are money machines which may or may not determine ones ability and knowledge.

I have mine only because I would be at a competitive disadvantage in the job market without them, and that is a shame.

There is a lot of truth to what you say, but for those that are experienced, certification is merely a formality to acknowledge what you already know to an employer. A lot of people use it as a way to assume they know the knowledge when in fact they cannot perform under the appropriate and applicable conditions, but they will burn out soon enough.