Some good companies to invest stock in?

Dustin.ciscoDustin.cisco Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ello'!

So I'm starting to get interested in investing in stock. Well! Since IT is my field of knowledge i'd figure i'd start there first.

So what i think a good company to invest in would be whom ever takes control of the Wireless market; as eventually we are going to be movin away from Telephone lines and into WiCast! But who do you think will win that upcoming race? AT&T, Verizon, QWEST, (god forbid) Comcast?

Also in your opinion what other companies do you think has good potential in the IT and Social Media side of IT in general?

I say lets find the next google =D

Comments

• dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess my first question is do you want to invest or do you want to speculate? Randomly purchasing stock hoping that it will become the next best thing is not a very good idea if you want a positive return. If only knowing the next trend or stock were so easy.

In my opinion, I would open an account with Vanguard and purchase index funds (or ETFs) and invest that way. You could find an index fund that is slanted towards a technology sector since that is your interest. By investing in a large cross section of the market, you can take advantage of the companies that do well and minimize those that do not.

Some good books on investing if you are new to the process are The Bogglehead's Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore, The Four Pilars of Investing by William Bernstein, and All About Asset Allocation by Richard Ferri.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I don't remember which expert said this, but I read in a book (sorry I can't reference the source) that said investing within the field you work is not a good idea because you are biased and not likely to make good investment decisions due to your own technical opinions.

You want to invest to make money, right? That's the goal? Then don't buy stock. If you haven't heard of Dave Ramsey I highly recommend following his program to becoming wealthy. This book would get you started: Amazon.com: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (9781595550781): Dave Ramsey: Books

If you have no debt
    and have 3 - 6 months of expenses saved in an emergency fund, Dave Ramsey would say max out your companies 401k, then do your maximum annual contribution to a Roth IRA, and if you still have money left to invest it should go into growth stock mutual funds.

Good luck with your investing, and remember you can never go wrong by doing research before making decisions icon_study.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I don't remember which expert said this, but I read in a book (sorry I can't reference the source) that said investing within the field you work is not a good idea because you are biased and not likely to make good investment decisions due to your own technical opinions.

You want to invest to make money, right? That's the goal? Then don't buy stock. If you haven't heard of Dave Ramsey I highly recommend following his program to becoming wealthy. This book would get you started: Amazon.com: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (9781595550781): Dave Ramsey: Books

If you have no debt
    and have 3 - 6 months of expenses saved in an emergency fund, Dave Ramsey would say max out your companies 401k, then do your maximum annual contribution to a Roth IRA, and if you still have money left to invest it should go into growth stock mutual funds.

Good luck with your investing, and remember you can never go wrong by doing research before making decisions icon_study.gif

Spot on. It's like buying sports cars .. unless you can't afford to drive it into the ground, you can't afford it full stop :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p