Microsoft Excel

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a laptop that whenever you run Excel (2007) it hogs up A LOT of memory. The excel file isn't that big, possibly 50 lines and 10 columns. It roughly takes up 1,350mb of RAM.

Has anyone else ever had any issues with excel taking up too many resources?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Just opened a couple of excel files using 2007. I've got one that's 5 columns, 17 lines, but has formulas in two of those columns. Task manager shows excel uses 7.8mb memory when that file is open. Empty file (32bit office on 64bit windows 7) uses 6.3mb. From where I'm sitting, excel is just memory heavy.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    What OS are you using? Windows 7 uses memory prefetch to store data you *might* need later in RAM now to speed things up. Nothing to worry about, and Windows will free up the memory if something else needs it, but why not have the RAM actually used instead of just sitting there empty?
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    How big is the original file? Does It have any out of the ordinary macros attached?
    Try this Cut and paste only the Rows and columns you need into a new spreadsheet. Close the original and save the new one under a different name. Close excel completly and then reopen the new spreadsheet and see if you have the same behavior.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In addition to the above you could also look for hidden elements within the spreadsheet.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you checked thoroughly for malware?
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?