Find address by Lat/Long for stolen laptop

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
By a weird fluke of luck, a laptop we had stolen weeks ago is showing up online via logmein. So far, they have not wiped the computer clean.

I was able to log in and check the IP address, and by plugging that in I got the longitude and latitude of the laptop connection. I am having trouble finding a site that will allow me to put in the location and find out what the address is.

Can anyone direct me to somewhere that will allow this?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Type it into Google maps. It supports coordinates.

Its quite likely however that you're just getting the rough coordinates of the ISP...
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks. Google Maps pointed right to a house, just miles from our home office. Definetly not the ISP. Giving all the info to the police and see if they can do something about it.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does the laptop have a webcam you could turn on ;) ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Thanks. Google Maps pointed right to a house, just miles from our home office. Definetly not the ISP. Giving all the info to the police and see if they can do something about it.
    Not really. It doesn't conclusively prove its that house. All you've proved is that its somebody nearby which you could have guessed anyway and what ISP they're using. It may be giving you a rough set of coordinates and that house just happens to be where the coordinates are. How many digits you got after the decimal point in these coordinates? Try typing in your home IP. Do you get your home address down to the exact house?

Look up the whois data for that IP and what it resolves to in DNS. I'd be surprised if any public geoIP service has data that accurate to locate specific houses that aren't businesses with published addresses. Even the police don't have geoIP databases that accurate.

Your best bet is to look up the ISP and pass the details onto the police along with times when it was connected. The police can then get a warrant to ask the ISP which account was using that IP at that time. It is vastly more accurate than the geoIP lookup you're doing.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Bokeh wrote: »
    So far, they have not wiped the computer clean.

You have the ability to do so if needed right?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???