Options

MBA for Desktop Support/Sys Admin Background

I would love to go for an MBA, but not sure which would fit my 10 years of work experience. I figured my certifications would show as a replacement MBA to future employers, but if there is one out there that can fit with my background, I'll jump on it.

Does WGU, other online universities or B&Ms offer MBAs to my criteria?

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would love to go for an MBA, but not sure which would fit my 10 years of work experience. I figured my certifications would show as a replacement MBA to future employers, but if there is one out there that can fit with my background, I'll jump on it.

I believe WGU has an MBA program in Technology Management, which is suited for managing IT operations. Other universities offer similar MBAs too.

That said, having an MBA for a Desktop Support or System Admin job is not going to help you. In fact, after I removed my MBA from my resume, I started getting more responses and inquiries for mid-level IT jobs. Nothing wrong with getting an MBA, especially when you're ready to apply for IT management jobs, that will give you an edge.
  • Options
    Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    That said, having an MBA for a Desktop Support or System Admin job is not going to help you. In fact, after I removed my MBA from my resume, I started getting more responses and inquiries for mid-level IT jobs. Nothing wrong with getting an MBA, especially when you're ready to apply for IT management jobs, that will give you an edge.

That's what I figured. I didn't really feel an MBA would help me out with my background. Like you said, only for management it would help, but other than that.....meh.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

A lot of MBAs are not worth the paper they are printed on. A credible MBA candidate has several years of management experience and wants instruction so they can hold down a strategic role. If this is you go for it but get an MBA at a respected school. It's your money.