TCP and UDP protocols any logic or just plain memorization?

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there any "logic" to the TCP and UDP protocols or you just have to memorize them.

Comments

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I would think there would be some memorization, but if you remember that TCP protocols are connection oriented and UDP protocols are connectionless that might help. I always tried to remember it as TCP wants to ensure delivery and UDP does not care...
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I always found this hilarious -

UDP is when you come home and your girlfriend runs her mouth for an hour. TCP is when she expects you to show you're listening by interjecting the occasional "I love you", or "I told you that chick was crazy", or maybe even making a point of your own.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I one I read recently was UDP was like the post office. You send your data and it usually gets there but you are unsure.

TCP is like Fedex, it cost more (buy special box, get a tracking number, and confirmation) but you know it gets there.

As for what protocols use TCP or UDP, you have to memorize them.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would think there would be some memorization, but if you remember that TCP protocols are connection oriented and UDP protocols are connectionless that might help. I always tried to remember it as TCP wants to ensure delivery and UDP does not care...

Same here
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As for what protocols use TCP or UDP, you have to memorize them.
    Therein lies the challenge.....icon_sad.gif

That said, do you mean a full list of the TCP/UDP protocols or just a brief listing of the most common ones?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
    Common ports and protocols are best. There's no reason and no way that anyone knows them all.
  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Therein lies the challenge.....icon_sad.gif

That said, do you mean a full list of the TCP/UDP protocols or just a brief listing of the most common ones?

Just the common ones.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    QHalo wrote: »
    Common ports and protocols are best. There's no reason and no way that anyone knows them all.

I wouldn't say that. I mean, look at Daniel Tammet, the man memorized pi to the 22,514 decimal place. Anything is possible. :)
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. I mean, look at Daniel Tammet, the man memorized pi to the 22,514 decimal place. Anything is possible. :)

There are those 'freaks of nature' out there I suppose :p
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Another important difference that can help to determine whether a protocol uses UDP or TCP is that UDP is simpler and faster (because it doesn't have to acknowledge and do flow control and error correction). That's why media streaming is typically done over UDP. But UDP is often also used for very small chunks of data, like DNS client-server communication. DNS is an interesting example because it also uses TCP, for zone transfers, ie. server-server communication, in which case it's much more important information arrives complete and the correct order.

So you won't have to memorize everything; if you learn about the protocols and their purpose and know the differences between UDP and TCP you can make a well-educated guess.