Command to show interface up or down.

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
How do I activate verbose logging on a switch/router to show if an interface goes up or down as it happens? I remoted into a test switch and removed/reseated some cables and nothing showed that it went down or up. I thought there was a way to activate this if it was disabled without looking through the logs. Anyone know the ios command?

Comments

• NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're connected via console, you'll see the interfaces going up or down.

To see this on a remote connection, use the terminal monitor command.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    If you're connected via console, you'll see the interfaces going up or down.

To see this on a remote connection, use the terminal monitor command.
    And to turn this off, contrary to all of your cisco instincts, you use term no mon instead of no term mon.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    And to turn this off, contrary to all of your cisco instincts, you use term no mon instead of no term mon.

Very cool

I've never had a need to turn off monitoring but you are 100% correct

Could be useful if debug output was causing issues, thanks for the tip
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I knew about terminal monitor but haven't used it since I was studying for my ccna. Do you think this command would be ok to use on production machines? If I log out of a switch/router without doing "no term mon" would the output be going to whatever vty I was using, causing continuous overhead? Probably a silly question, but I'd rather ask you guys and be sure icon_exclaim.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    Once your telnet or ssh session is over, the terminal monitoring stops.