Options

How many monitors do you use?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
In the last year or so I have found myself using two monitors (was using a 19" tv but have recently purchased a 20" monitor that works better). Sometimes I feel like 2 monitors isn't enough for me especially in my voip class when I have several router consoles up and several pc remote access sessions that are running CIPC's.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I answered what I currently use... 2 old 19" LCDs. At my last job I had 3 monitors.

I hate that nobody makes any 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio). I have a 26" Asus at home, and wish I had gotten at least 1, if not 2 more. They don't make this model any more. :\ Now everything is 1920x1080 (16:9).

I hope I can get my new job to provide me with a couple nice monitors. I'll be working from home, and they're providing me with a laptop, but I really don't want to work off of a laptop all day long.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a 28 and 24-inch monitor at home. I'm thinking about getting 2 25-inch monitors that are the same model (maybe ASUS), but I'm not sure. I'm to the point now that I can't work well without 2 monitors.

At work I have a 22 and a 20.1-inch.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Everyone wrote: »
    I answered what I currently use... 2 old 19" LCDs. At my last job I had 3 monitors.

I hate that nobody makes any 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio). I have a 26" Asus at home, and wish I had gotten at least 1, if not 2 more. They don't make this model any more. :\ Now everything is 1920x1080 (16:9).

I hope I can get my new job to provide me with a couple nice monitors. I'll be working from home, and they're providing me with a laptop, but I really don't want to work off of a laptop all day long.

I use 2, 20" LCD's at home and love it. Then I go into work where I am stuck with a laptop. Laptop's suck when I need to RDP into a client, then access some information locally, constant switching back and fourth.

Getting me a desktop and dual monitors is on the IT budget for this year, so hopefully within a couple months I'll get to upgrade myself at work.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got two and three. One setup is a 30" Dell with a 21" Dell in portrait mode and another setup is the same as the first but with another 30" next to the 21" ( 30" <> 21" <> 30" ).

Although the three screens are overkill and I hardly us the third, I wouldn't want to work with less than two nowadays ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Off-topic comment: Did anybody else have issues with accessing the site? I was not able to get on for an hour or so.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    2 right now, but will be using 4 pretty soon. I may just do 3 though because I think 4 might take up way too much desk space and be a hard to look at them all (don't want to turn my head all the time).
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    1 24" and 2 18"
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Two.

Not sure how big the ones at work are. Like 26" or something ridiculous. 23" at home. Just recently made the switch to 2 monitors and I don't know how I did without.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    24'' HP Dreamcolor LP2480zx
    19'' NEC Multisync 190M

I'd put a third, but don't want to give up the desk space (I really want to have one that does nothing but display Outlook). Coming into this job, I was 1 of 2 people with dual monitors. I eventually polled and upgraded everyone to duals. At my last job, you were blessed to even have an LCD monitor.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    2, but I want a third. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Two 27" Acer S273HLbmii at home. Two cheapo 19" at the office.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At work I use a 19" (4:3) and my laptop 14".

At home I use a 24" (16:10 ftw!) and a 21.x". I've been thinking about trying to for two the same but I'll wait till I find a good deal.

Look into the professional series monitors. HP z24xx and the Dell U2410 are 1920x1200. There are others out there but mostly it's higher end monitors.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    3 but that includes 2 laptops with 1440x990 (17inch) and 1600x900 (15inch).

I attached an overview of the screen resolution used by our visitors this year:
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Since I work from home I decided that 3 23" monitors fits the bill. I did have two but I didn't like the neck strain it caused from having to look left or right to view what I needed. 3 works nicely since I can focus on the monitor in the middle and then have diagrams/reference material on the other two.

Also, they're a tax write off. Love being a home worker :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 at home and 2 at work. I work in financials and have a few traders using 4. 3 would be ideal however with the amount of windows i have opened from cmd prompts, rdp manager, vcenter clients, putty manager, ie, chrome etc
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

The I-Inc IH282 is still available and fits your requirements 28 inch 16:10 at 1920x1200. That is my center monitor with a rotatable HP w2207h for docs and a VIZIO - XVT323SV 32 inch wifi tv monitor wall mounted with a vertical tilt mount above the i-inc.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    2-23" in a dual monitor mode. These are hooked up to my main desktop
    1-20" testing/configuration...everything else monitor
    1-40" 1080P LCD TV - HTPC/Netflix/web browsing when I'm lazy icon_lol.gif. although I use this monitor alot lately for all my CBTNugget/Trainsignal videos icon_cool.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By the way, really helpful when using multiple screens and a laptop : Input Director - Software KVM to Control Multiple Computers
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    I attached an overview of the screen resolution used by our visitors this year:

Thanks for that Johan. Interesting pie chart. Short of smart phones I assume 640x480 VGA has faded into history. Seriously resisting urge to figure out how you collected those stats (must be next to shoe size in the database)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Thanks for that Johan. Interesting pie chart. Short of smart phones I assume 640x480 VGA has faded into history. Seriously resisting urge to figure out how you collected those stats (must be next to shoe size in the database)
    Ymw. The list is actually much longer (2,482 different screen res over past month alone), but I capped it to the top 10 to keep the image small. The stats are from Google Analytics, between Browser OS and Screen Colors in the Browser Capabilities section. Speaking of screen colors, the following shows the top 10 over just the past month:
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dell 30" 3008WFP at home means I only need one ;)

I have 2 x 22" Samsung's on my desktop at work.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Ymw. The list is actually much longer (2,482 different screen res over past month alone), but I capped it to the top 10 to keep the image small. The stats are from Google Analytics, between Browser OS and Screen Colors in the Browser Capabilities section. Speaking of screen colors, the following shows the top 10 over just the past month:

Thanks again I need to move Analytics way up on my study list of what to do if the must do list is empty.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Damn, I'm probably the only one using the one monitor at home. I just have the one, a Phillips 20". *goes into a corner*

At work though, I do have a couple of 19"'s.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At home I run 2 32in Sony LCD TVs, and at work 2 17in CRTs. Sometimes it sucks having to go into the office!
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Damn, I'm probably the only one using the one monitor at home. I just have the one, a Phillips 20". *goes into a corner*

At work though, I do have a couple of 19"'s.

Nope, I only use one at home as well. At work I have 2, which just isn't enough seeing I spending most of the day working on RDP sessions. I'm not so concerned with the size of a monitor; more with the resolution. 19" is enough but if it's only 1280x768 then it can be a hindrance to progress.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Thanks again I need to move Analytics way up on my study list of what to do if the must do list is empty.
    There's not much to it, you can set it up in 5-10 minutes... 1) sign up, 2) copy the provided code to your web site*, and 3) look at the purdy graphs. I don't run any popular sites so the graphs are mostly just depressing, showing a steady decline in traffic. icon_lol.gif

*Well, 2) can be a little tricky if you have dynamic content. But basically just search Google for "analytics" + the name of the software you are using on your site (Wordpress, phpBB, etc.) and you will find out quickly enough. I guess if you have a ton of static content it could also be tricky... you'd have to figure out an easy way (e.g. write a script) to add the Analytics code to all the static pages.

OK, on topic, I currently use a single 23.6" 1080p Acer GD235HZ. It has three inputs... HDMI to my laptop dock, VGA to my KVM for the home lab, and (dual link) DVI to my desktop. It supports 3D so I get a silky smooth 120Hz on the DVI from my desktop.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    KevinlilesKevinliles Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use 3 at this time. Its a little much I may let one go.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am running two 27 inch Samsungs with a average ATI video card. 512 with 2 DVI ports.

At work I am running 2 22 inch Dell monitors.