Options

New with questions, imagine that!

cdmcgcdmcg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
Back in 2003, fresh out of high school, I had one idea in my head on what I wanted to do with my life, work on computers. I somewhat enjoyed programming, but not a lot. So I started taking a course for my CCNA cert and a course for A+. Being 18 and somewhat stupid, I dropped out and never finished. Years later I went to school for computer animation and got my B.S.

Now I reside outside the greater bay area in California. Work out here for game artists is slim pickins. So I was looking at getting into IT. Now I have enough student debt already from my B.S. so I was looking at going and getting my CCNA and start working from there.

I have always enjoyed the more hardware side of things then pure software dev. So, my biggest question is, should I just work on certs and try to get my foot in the door that way? I really dont know a lot about how the job market for networking works. I am an artist, so I understand on that aspect portfolio is everything. Show your best work, yadda yadda yadda. But from the stand point of networking and hardware related side how do you do that? I know I could learn the material and pass CCNA. But being 26, with an art degree, would I be taken seriously?

I appreciate any comments and will be following this very closely.
Current studies:
All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification

http://gplus.to/cdmcg

Comments

• Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The last successful interview i had , none of the managers had any formal IT background, the lead tech managed an EMT team, and the person i reported to was a graphic designer before getting into Telecom.
    If you can demonstrate knowledge and solid troubleshooting skills you should have a fighting chance when it comes to the interviews.

I think the biggest barrier is getting to that face to face talk and catapulting your resume past the HR/Recruiting goons who are looking for specific keywords and "relevant" experience.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, your art degree shows that you are able to acquire knowledge by yourself and that you are willing to study. That is more than a lot of people in the industry have. Don't overrate degrees. With the huge boom of IT since ~2000 I would still assume that the majority of people working in IT do not have a degree.

Getting the CCNA will sure be a big plus. It's not an easy exam so it shows that you really invested some time. I got mine when I was 25 and out of work (6 years ago) and I could feel the boost it gave me.

If you are an artist, use it to your advantage. Create a CV that will be noticed. Just recently I learned how important presentation is. I was posting in a forum and a guy there was just looking for his first job after school. He had written a bunch of applications but didn't get the invites. I gave him a few hints on how to improve his CV (better layout, language skills, contact details) and he wrote me back just two weeks later that he landed an interview.

Remember, having a degree is more than 50% of the people in IT have. It might not be IT related but it shows that you are dedicated and that you are willing to learn. Transport that message in your (noticeable) CV and you will be invited. Best of luck to you!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    Thanks, I will just push through and get my CCNA and work up from there. Getting another degree isnt impossible but if I can work my way in without it I would be more inclined to follow that path. Stay home father of two makes structured school not the easiest haha.
    Current studies:

• Options
    So, I was wondering if I should consider getting my A+ and Network+ cert before going for my CCNA. My only real IT experience is helping friends and I dont know if a CCNA will be enough to even get people to look at me.
    Current studies:

• Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    You could definitely consider getting your A+/Network+, but you should know that as far as difficulty/prestige, it goes (roughly):

A+: ###
    Network+: #####
    CCENT: ######
    CCNA: ############

For the entry-level guys (like you and I), getting A+/Network+ can be valuable for getting your foot in the door, but they are not the big dogs. As an example, I got my A+/Network+ already, because in my particular area I see them listed quite a bit on Tier 1 Helpdesk jobs. However, I will almost assuredly NOT recertify when the time comes in 3 years, because quite frankly it is not worth it once you have a year or two of experience under your belt. They are a means to an end, and as long as you realize what the ROI on each is before you shell out $$$ on vouchers/training materials I don't think they are a bad thing at all. If you are using these exams as a way to gauge and accumulate knowledge, then more power to you. My Network+ prep has been invaluable as far as giving me a jumpstart going into the CCNA. Just my $.02 :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I had assumed they were not as challenging, but like you stated, being new. I have zero experience I can put on a resume. So, I am figuring that by getting my A+ Network+ and then work on my CCNA it will be better on paper then just saying, "Hey, I am a 3D artist who has a CCNA. Hire me on for your tech help desk."
    Current studies:

• Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Yep, definitely do the Network+ prior to the CCNA. Hopefully you will be able to land an entry level help desk type position and work your way up from there by gaining some experience.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cdmcg wrote: »
    Hello,
    Back in 2003, fresh out of high school, I had one idea in my head on what I wanted to do with my life, work on computers. I somewhat enjoyed programming, but not a lot. So I started taking a course for my CCNA cert and a course for A+. Being 18 and somewhat stupid, I dropped out and never finished. Years later I went to school for computer animation and got my B.S.

Now I reside outside the greater bay area in California. Work out here for game artists is slim pickins. So I was looking at getting into IT. Now I have enough student debt already from my B.S. so I was looking at going and getting my CCNA and start working from there.

I have always enjoyed the more hardware side of things then pure software dev. So, my biggest question is, should I just work on certs and try to get my foot in the door that way? I really dont know a lot about how the job market for networking works. I am an artist, so I understand on that aspect portfolio is everything. Show your best work, yadda yadda yadda. But from the stand point of networking and hardware related side how do you do that? I know I could learn the material and pass CCNA. But being 26, with an art degree, would I be taken seriously?

I appreciate any comments and will be following this very closely.
    I started IT when I was over 40, so, yeah, you shouldn't have any probs at 26 lol.