Options

First Interview tomorrow! Questions! Tips welcome too!

MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I got my first real interview ("real" because I don't count the Circuit City sales position as one, as I didn't even want the job...) The position is for a "Customer Support Tech" but the description seems like it's basically a help desk job and says I'd be working under the IT Help Desk Manager, which is fine enough for me! It's for a government contractor company that is about an hour away and it says I would need to get a secret clearance, which is what I've been aiming for in my job search.

I'm nervous. Really nervous. The pay is a great and more than I've hoped for in a starting job ($37,000), and with getting a secret clearance makes it all that much better. I worked 2 years for my family's business of five people as a Auto Mechanic but I was also their "IT guy", which was an easy task as their were only about 5 computers there, and I let this company know that on my resume that I was an Auto Mechanic / IT Tech and basically said I did the troubleshooting and setting up of computing devices. In the job description, they ask the candidates to have 2 years experience (and help desk experience is a big plus), but I'm a little worried that I don't have the experience that they are looking for. I do have my A+ and Network+ certifications, and a Bachelor's in Information Engineering Technology, so I do know a lot of the concepts. I just haven't dealt with a huge user-base solving computing problems every single day of every hour.

1) My main concern is, since I've never had a real interview like this, I'm not sure what questions to expect for this IT Help Desk position. If anyone knows what I should study or what I should be prepared for, advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

2) I've also heard from a friend that at the end they ask you if you have any questions, and that you should ask questions. Are their any common questions that one would ask? I really can't think of much off hand that I want to know that wasn't in the job description of what I will be doing, so I'm not sure if I should just have filler.

3) How do I end the interview? Do I say "When do I start?" Do I ask when they will get in contact with me if I'm accepted or not? Are their any phrases that hiring managers want to hear before you leave?

4) I was considering bringing a folder with a printed out paper of the job description and a list of possible questions. Is this something that is normal to do? Should I not have a list of questions?

This job offer means a whole lot to me, but I don't feel very confident in my interviewing skills, so any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Always ask questions. Always bring extra copies of your resume, cover letter. Always follow up with a thank you note to all who were involved in the interview. Always research the company ahead of time. Make sure your shoes are shined, tie is straight, all buttons buttoned, hair combed. Do not arrive too early. Perhaps 15 minutes tops. Go over your resume, and be able to answer questions about it.

They may ask for you to tell them about yourself. They dont want a family history (and believe me some folks do this!). Just state your degree, certs, and that you are looking forward to starting work for the company right away. Ballsy? A bit. Shows initiative.

Questions you might want to ask:

1. What is a normal day at this position like?
    2. What brought you (the interviewer) to the company, and what do you like about the company?

Dont be surprised if they ask about salary. It's a good way to weed out people who are out of their price range. A simple tactic that has worked for some folks I know is to respond with "what would someone with my education, certifications, and background expect to start at your company?" Remember, he who states salary first is usually the looser. Dont price yourself (either under or over) out of the job.

r
    Always turn a negative to a positive. If they ask what are your weaknesses, give them one but also state how you overcame it.
  • Options
    Thank you soooo much for your advice Bokeh, it's very much appreciated! Very good information in there! And I didn't even know people wore suits to interviews like this until you mentioned it, and just asked a few other people who all say I should. Looks like I gotta go out and buy one!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums icon_smile.gif

My advice comes from my European point of view so take it with a grain of salt. Although we do have a lot in common interviews might just work a little different on your side of the pond.

Clothing:
    Make sure you wear clean, tidy clothes, get a haircut if needed but don't overdress. You don't wont be dressed better than your boss-to-be icon_wink.gif Wear something that you feel comfortable in. Interviews (especially if you are new to the game) are stress situations so you want to feel as comfortable as possible. If that means leaving the tie in the car, that's OK.

Hello/Goodbye:
    Just be polite. Great everybody that is part of the interview and leave with a smile on your face. There are usually no problems with this, just behave like any proper guest (that you are) would.

Preparation:
    This is an important point to me. Make sure that you know something about the company that invites you. Read their homepage. How many employees do they have? What's their main business? How long have they been around? Who is the founder/boss? A common questions in interviews is "How have you heard about us?" or "What do you know about this company?". All that counts is showing that you are prepared. They have read through your CV and you should read through their public information.

Questions:
    Remember, Interviews are a two-way-street. Not only are they checking if you match their profile, you should also check if you fit the company. That involves asking questions. If you are really nervous, write them down. During my last interview I pulled a piece of paper and a pen from my jacket when it was time for me to ask questions. My interview partners were irritated for just a few seconds but afterwards really impressed by the interest I showed. Good/common questions would be "Who would I be working with? (team player)", "Who will I report to? (accountability)", "Do you offer employee education/training? (drive)".

Application:
    Take a print-out of your application (letter, CV, certificates) with you. If they are properly organized every person participating in the interview will have received a copy of at least your CV but bringing it along shows you are prepared. If there are any questions regarding your certs you will be able to show them (copies are OK).

When you go in there, just take a deep breath. It's not the dentist, it's just an interview icon_wink.gif You are invited as their guest and they should treat you as such. Be on time, be polite, try to relax and you will be fine. Best of luck to you!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    One thing that's helped me in landing my last position was linkedin. Do you know who you're interviewing with? If so, look them up. You'll be less intimidated and could learn something valuable. For example my current boss is super sharp on the IT stuff even though he never touches it anymore, knowing he had his MCSE allowed me to show my initiative in mentioning that i'm going for MCITP:SA. Usually if you can show eagerness and be excited about working there, you'll build a rapport with them and you're golden.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies you two!! And I'm sure European interviewing isn't all that much different than it is in the USA, so I will take the advice!

And I just looked at both of the interviewers Linkedin profiles as per the suggestion. One of them doesn't have much, but the other guy has a good amount of experience in IT, it's a little intimidating! But it seems like he has earned it with the amount of years he's been working.

Again, thanks for the advice guys. I'm feeling better about the interview than I was before, so that's good. I've got nothing to lose, only something to gain. :)
  • Options
    Well, I just got back from the interview.

I feel I did poorly... The interview was nothing like I was expecting. The first thing he mentioned was that it wasn't going to be like a normal interview. He also said right off the bat that he wasn't going to ask me questions about my education and stuff since it's all on my resume. The whole interview was more like a conversation, and he knew I was nervous because he told me to relax. He's a very, very pleasant guy and quite funny too, I just wasn't expecting it to be like that. At the end he did ask me if I had any questions, and after I asked a couple of them (and he answered), he stood up and told me if I had any more questions to give him a call and that he'd give me a call within the week. That was about it...

Also, there was no talk about salary. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing...

I feel the need to e-mail him and let him know that I was nervous and that I feel I did poorly in the interview but that I would be an excellent candidate for the job. I really liked the sound of this job and the people seemed great, plus it's in a beautiful area. I feel I can't just sit around waiting doing nothing, ending it on such a low note.

Should I email him or just leave it be?
  • Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mirth wrote: »
    I feel the need to e-mail him and let him know that I was nervous and that I feel I did poorly in the interview but that I would be an excellent candidate for the job. I really liked the sound of this job and the people seemed great, plus it's in a beautiful area. I feel I can't just sit around waiting doing nothing, ending it on such a low note.

Should I email him or just leave it be?

I wouldn't send an email saying you were nervous. Just thank him for taking the time to interview you.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    LoMo wrote: »
    I wouldn't send an email saying you were nervous. Just thank him for taking the time to interview you.

Thats what I'd do also. Just thank him, let him know that you are very interested in the position and think you are a good fit. Don't apologize for being nervous.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I just sent him out an email thanking him. Now I just play the waiting game!