Options

Question for a beginner.

JlynJlyn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All. :)

I could use some advice from people experienced in the computer field.

I am an almost 50 yr old housewife with no college background. I do have a highschool diploma.

I love my computer and spend too much time on it. In the past I have taught myself some beginner html and made websites for myself and friends and I have loved every minute of it.

I would love to learn more though and maybe even one day have my own little web design business. I don't know if I am dreaming too big or if it is possible at my age and with my lack of education to even begin?

I did go to Devry University yesterday morning and talked with them. I'm not sure if they are the way to start or not though.

I would love some suggestions on how I could get started.

Thanks so much for reading and sharing any ideas you may have!

Comments

• Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're NEVER too old to learn or start your own business. I'll be 40 this year and I'm just getting started in my IT journey. icon_wink.gif

I don't know much about web design so I can't say much about it. But I would STRONGLY advise against going to those overpriced tech/trade school that love to lure unknowing noobs in with promises of making $$$$ after just a few weeks or months of classes. I would strongly recommend looking into a local community college or university that has what you're looking for.

Welcome Jlyn and always pursue your dreams no matter how old you are. As long as you invest the time and effort to learn a skill it will inevitably lead to rewards.icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    JlynJlyn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    You're NEVER too old to learn or start your own business. I'll be 40 this year and I'm just getting started in my IT journey. icon_wink.gif

I don't know much about web design so I can't say much about it. But I would STRONGLY advise against going to those overpriced tech/trade school that love to lure unknowing noobs in with promises of making $$$$ after just a few weeks or months of classes. I would strongly recommend looking into a local community college or university that has what you're looking for.

Welcome Jlyn and always pursue your dreams no matter how old you are. As long as you invest the time and effort to learn a skill it will inevitably lead to rewards.icon_thumright.gif

Thanks for your response. I have been thinking about this for a while and am excited at the thought of having a goal and accomplishing something.

I have been calling the community colleges and universities in my area and none of them offer computer courses that are 100% online. That is why I talked to Devry yesterday.

I am hoping someone knows of an reputable online school I could enroll in and start learning.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    For what you want to do, I do not believe that college is even totally necessary in the very beginning (or possibly at all). My brother and I dabble in some web design/graphics, and I've never had any classroom training. I would start at W3Schools Online Web Tutorials, which has some decent, totally free training on the basics. That will keep you busy for a bit, after which I would encourage you to sign up for a year at Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more, which is an excellent resource for anything having to do with web development, web programming languages, graphic design, etc.

Between those two sites and a library card, I think you will find enough learning to keep you busy for a while :).
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get yourself some of the CIW books. You would start with the Foundations and move up to what interests you.
    Community College would also be a good place to get more education on this as well.