Options

CCNP Boot Camps...

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
How many people have gone to them? How were they? Are they worth it?

From what I have found, they seem to be really really expensive ($8000 ish)

Comments

• Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Honestly unless you work for a large company I wouldn't bother... Even if you did its better to self study and save the bootcamps for the ccie
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thanks for the advice. Ill probably save the money and just build a lab at home.. Hopefully complete it in 3-4 months.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    If you were seriously considering spending that kind of money on a CCNP bootcamp, I'd recommend picking up INE's all access pass to get access to their CCNP material. $159/month is much better bang for your buck, especially if you have your own lab already
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    The CCNP bootcamps are expensive and most people generally retain about 30% of the material learned onsite, maybe a little bit more. The bootcamps are meant to assist those who have the experience in the material to bridge the gap in order to pass the exam.

Forsaken_GA had a great suggestion. With the bootcamp, once you are done you really only have the course manuals to review but with the INE classes you can go back and watch as often as you would like to reinforce the material.

If you have the $6000-10000 to spend, I would go with purchasing a combination of the CCNP FLGs and your choice of CBT/INE videos for review and pocket the amount of money saved. This method may "take longer" but generally results in a higher level of comprehension. Remember the end result should be competency, not certification.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you were seriously considering spending that kind of money on a CCNP bootcamp, I'd recommend picking up INE's all access pass to get access to their CCNP material. $159/month is much better bang for your buck, especially if you have your own lab already
    Have you used INE's material before? If so, how does it compare to CB TNuggets?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009

Jeremy from CBT Nuggets does a good job of covering the base material for the exam. He has a very energetic presentation that keeps you awake. INE on the other hand goes deeper into the exam content but at times may be less energetic in their delivery approach. Brian @ INE does have a tendency to go beyond the CCNP scope on some topics (BGP Confederation/Reflection for example).

You have to ask yourself if a general review or a thorough review of the course material is more important. Neither solution is a bad choice.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options

Yes, I've been subscribed to INE's all access pass for a few months now. $159/month is a bargain compared to the $3k to $4k outlay for how their CCIE R&S course used to be, and it includes pretty much all of their R&S stuff. I was surprised to find all the CCNP courses available on my account as well.

As for how it compares.... it all depends on the instructor. Brian MacGahan is good, but sometimes a bit too in depth and makes leaps that you have to go back and research on your own to understand what he's about. Anthony Sequira is a nice guy, but I freaking hate his videos, I feel like I'm listening to a used car salesman. Brian Dennis is straight up awesome, technical ability out the wazoo, and he's very practical in his approach and teaching methodology. His mantra of master the basics first is right inline with what I believe.

The only Cisco CBT instructor I've heard is Jeremy, and while I generally consider him good, there are places where he skips over things that annoy me, and sometimes the energy gets on my nerves. There's only so much positivity that a cantankerous geek like me can take before I want to go on a killing spree.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's only so much positivity that a cantankerous geek like me can take before I want to go on a killing spree.

That was pretty much my take on Jeremy as well. He reminds me of some of the hyper young kids where I work who down energy drinks all day. Luckily you shut off his vids in time or we would be watching your trial on CNN (or for some of you maybe the BBC).

:)

The Cisco Press Route Lab Manual is my study tool of choice right now. If you have your own equipment (or even GNS3), it rocks. I was disappointed by Cisco's BCMSN Lab book, but the one for ROUTE is twice the size and much more to the point.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Like others have said, CCNP Bootcamps are pretty much worthless unless you have someone else pay for it. You cannot cram 3 exams in such a little time.

Self study for the CCNP is the route most people take.

Like others have posted, INE has great material with the All Access Pass, but for the price, $159 per month, thats like having an extra car payment. Thats where they get you though. Small payment upfront, but its re-ocurring every month. Typical CCNP students take about 6 - 12 months to pass all three exams. So for instance, take $159 x 12 = $1,908.

Don't get me wrong, INE has some great training and instructors, but their prices (although better than some) are still too high IMO. Instead of an upfront payment of $3,000 they just broke it into monthly payments because they know most people going for the CCIE take about 12 - 18 months to pass.

I may know of a company that can give you CCNP/CCIE level training at a fraction of the price of any other leading Cisco training vendor in the world. Actually its a cheaper one time payment than INE's All Access Pass. Just PM me for details.

Take it easy
  • Options
    Like others have posted, INE has great material with the All Access Pass, but for the price, $159 per month, thats like having an extra car payment. Thats where they get you though. Small payment upfront, but its re-ocurring every month. Typical CCNP students take about 6 - 12 months to pass all three exams. So for instance, take $159 x 12 = $1,908.

Well in INE's case, you're better off paying for the yearly subscription, that knockes the price down to $1600.

For the CCNP, I largely agree with you, and I don't think it's necessarily worth it, self-study and some cheap gear is all you really need to pass it. But if someone needs an extra hand, and they're willing to spend 8k on what is probably a crappy CCNP bootcamp, it's a better alternative, as the material really is quality (having access to quality CCIE level training does NOT hurt when studying for the CCNP, let alone the CCNP courses)
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    good point about the yearly INE pass. Like I said, I'm not trying to knock INE at all, because all their instructors are super smart guys that can teach CCIE level topics in their sleep.

You're right too about the CCNP bootcamp. IMO I would save any bootcamp experience for the CCIE, maybe a month or two out from a lab attempt.

Oh man, I need to go back and take it again. last attemp was in Feb. Its good that I am working with a few guys now that are going to be taking it soon. Gives me some motivation, although my position now I am dealing with mostly Juniper equipment, so I may eye up the JNCIP and JNCIE Service Provider next :)

Good luck with your choice and studying!