Options

:-) Help!! Aggregation and a Aggregation Service Router

Tommy2727Tommy2727 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

Can someone please enlighten me on a concept I'm having trouble with please..

Aggregation and a Aggregation Service Router... in reference to an ISP from a customer perspective?

My understanding of basic aggregation is multiple inbound connections voice, data, video etc.. merged in to one transmission unit. The ASR is used to compress these technologies into one transmission unit and advertise to an external source, either BGP, or another EGP..etc..... PLEASE help and thanks in advance..

Cheers.. 642-902 in 27 days.. very hard and in depth studying going on.. icon_smile.gif
Practice, Practice, and more Practice make Perfection.....

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why don't you just ask the ISP? Sounds like some internal names for the devices. Everyone calls them different things unfortunately.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tommy2727 wrote: »
    Greetings all,

Can someone please enlighten me on a concept I'm having trouble with please..

Aggregation and a Aggregation Service Router... in reference to an ISP from a customer perspective?

My understanding of basic aggregation is multiple inbound connections voice, data, video etc.. merged in to one transmission unit. The ASR is used to compress these technologies into one transmission unit and advertise to an external source, either BGP, or another EGP..etc..... PLEASE help and thanks in advance..

Cheers.. 642-902 in 27 days.. very hard and in depth studying going on.. icon_smile.gif

An ASR in ISP terms usually refers to gateway router that is capable of multiple routing and aggregation tasks. One of the most common that I have seen is using an ASR (which is also a Cisco router product line) as a Broadband Remote Access Server or BRAS which is most commonly used to authenticate and aggregate DSL. I'm just now learning about working on an ASR myself, so i'm by no means an authority.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...