Options

Throw Me Some Names of Free UNIX OSes

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I am currently working with a proprietary UNIX server at work, and I realize it's nothing compares to Linux distros that I use occassionally. I can't even go back to the previous commands that I typed with the UP arrow ( I even try CTRL and R), but the UNIX operating system is a completely different beast.

So, I would like you guys (preferably UNIX pros) to throw in some names of UNIX OS that I can actually download for free and play around with in VMs since I'm no expert on distinguishing the UNIX-based OS from the LINUX-based OS. I don't want to waste time messing with an OS that I thought was UNIX-based but turned out to be another Linux distro. Any OSes similar to BSD, Solaris, or AIX are desirable. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that just the type of shell you are using? Are you using bash?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a number of BSD derived OS's: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, and PC-BSD are general purpose operating systems, and there's also specialty systems that are BSD based such as FreeNAS. Here is a list of everything BSD. A minimalist system such as NetBSD is going to look and feel a lot like old school UNIX. Beneath the GUI, OSX has a lot in common with BSD as well.

Next, there's Solaris, OpenSolaris, and a growing number of distros based on OpenSolaris, such as SchilliX, Belenix, and Illumos. Unfortunately, most other systems that are thought of as a "Real UNIX" are closely tied to a particular workstation or server architecture.

And as far as various Linux distros not feeling enough like old school UNIX, simply changing from the Bash shell to a similar shell to what you're used to on UNIX will go a long way. Bash is the most commonly used shell among distros, but I can think of at least 10 others off of the top of my head that are out there and may be more to your liking.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that just the type of shell you are using? Are you using bash?

Okay. I overlooked that one. Preferably Korn shell. Thanks for the look out.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    There's a number of BSD derived OS's: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, and PC-BSD are general purpose operating systems, and there's also specialty systems that are BSD based such as FreeNAS. Here is a list of everything BSD. A minimalist system such as NetBSD is going to look and feel a lot like old school UNIX. Beneath the GUI, OSX has a lot in common with BSD as well.

Next, there's Solaris, OpenSolaris, and a growing number of distros based on OpenSolaris, such as SchilliX, Belenix, and Illumos. Unfortunately, most other systems that are thought of as a "Real UNIX" are closely tied to a particular workstation or server architecture.

And as far as various Linux distros not feeling enough like old school UNIX, simply changing from the Bash shell to a similar shell to what you're used to on UNIX will go a long way. Bash is the most commonly used shell among distros, but I can think of at least 10 others off of the top of my head that are out there and may be more to your liking.

Thanks for the inputs. I like your insights and what you have to offer. I was thinking about going with OpenSolaris myself, and I would have to use Korn shell and disable the GUI to force myself to practice, so I can understand the UNIX server at work is like. I was thinking the same thing when I realize this proprietary UNIX system I'm working with may only work on particular servers.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    OpenSolaris would probably be a good choice. Not sure if there's anything out there based on AIX or HP-UX. Those 2 and Solaris are the main Unix systems I've been exposed to.
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Which proprietary UNIX do you use at work? AIX, HPUX, Solaris, SCO, Ultrix? They all stem from essentially two 'flavours' System V or Berkeley. Knowing which you are interested in will give you a clue as to which 'modern' incarnation to try and source.

As for the lack of 'up arrow' - configure your shell (whichever) for history. man is your friend!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Look at this if you want to know how its all related.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Thanks for the inputs. I like your insights and what you have to offer. I was thinking about going with OpenSolaris myself, and I would have to use Korn shell and disable the GUI to force myself to practice, so I can understand the UNIX server at work is like. I was thinking the same thing when I realize this proprietary UNIX system I'm working with may only work on particular servers.

OpenSolaris is a dead project now. OpenIndiana is the free version now...

OpenIndiana
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Look at this if you want to know how its all related.

Thanks. This is pretty much what I need to see. icon_thumright.gif
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    OpenSolaris is a dead project now. OpenIndiana is the free version now...

OpenIndiana

Thanks for catching that one. I didn't start anything yet, but I was about to jump in soon. That makes sense since Oracle recently bought Sun.