Would anyone be interested in a GNS training course?

mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
The course would include videos talking you through every step of setting up GNS and using it to get hands on experience for your CCNA and CCNP exams.

Here's the website with the initial idea:

GNS Video Training Course

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You want people to pay for a course on how to set up GNS3? There are plenty of free tutorials out there and to be honest with you, its pretty damn easy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I don't think you'll get much interest for this.

It's very easy to set up...

Some lazy people with more money than sense might be interested...
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • XtendXtend Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    youtube is full with videos on how to set GNS3. If you would focus more on the technology part then ppl would be interested, but you would also compete with ppl like INE, IPexpert, CBT Nuggets and so on. Also, there is a guy named Steve Bowler with 4dvds out there that I heard it's pretty good.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Yes, I'm pretty sure bowlersp (that's his techexams forum username) has some very thorough video training on setting up gns3.

His videos can be bought on ebay, and much of his training is freely available on youtube: YouTube - ‪bowlersp's Channel‬‏

Setup of gns3 is easy but there are more advanced topics that I found I needed a tutorial on....like setting up a breakout switch.

If you want to create new gns3 training by all means do it. We appreciate a variety of training resources, just go into it knowing that there are others out there doing it too!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Free CCNA Workbook also covers setting up GNS3.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How would that be different (other than price) from the Video Tutorials from blindhog and brainbump (for free) listed on the GNS3 docs page?

Documentation | GNS3
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • XtendXtend Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    asking money to setup gns3 contradicts the purpose of gns. Lets remember that most of the ppl that use gns3 are the ppl who dont have the money to build theyr own lab. so, dunno who would pay for "learning to setup" something that u use to save money.
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For that price I'd rather just buy some real equipment.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd say it is priced ten times out of the range for even an impulse buy. Just because the tier 1 training companies command those prices does not mean it is a given price range for everyone.

Oh and while your site displays fine with Firefox and Chrome, it only displays the shaded background in IE8, even in compatibility mode, giving that "move along nothing to see here" feel. You might want to look into that if you intend to pursue this adventure; it may have lowered your thread comments. IE in its many incantations kind of bites to code for.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I know of a guy who passed the CCIE lab with 4 physical switches and a dynamips box. Even the terminal server was in dynamips.

Has anyone made a tutorial on how to set this up (probably has, and if you have a link I'd love to see it)? You can't tell me the knowledge entailed in this scenario isn't worth something to someone. We're talking about a cost savings of thousands of dollars here.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I know of a guy who passed the CCIE lab with 4 physical switches and a dynamips box. Even the terminal server was in dynamips.

Has anyone made a tutorial on how to set this up (probably has, and if you have a link I'd love to see it)? You can't tell me the knowledge entailed in this scenario isn't worth something to someone. We're talking about a cost savings of thousands of dollars here.

It might, but I believe the main market would be beginners. I would hope someone working on a CCIE could figure out GNS3. To me GNS3 only has value for reducing power in the hot summer months as I have a complete INE compatible physical lab. My terminal server is a 2651XM with a NM-32A, and a spare 2509 sitting in the closet. I think that situation exists a lot when you consider people with labs provided at work and remote lab tokens.

My real thought is he needs to lower his expectations and price down to beer money sales. I just don't see a market considering the existing content currently available.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I would pay a little to become an IOU expert :D

just sayin
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

It's surprisingly easy, many of the howto's are a couple paragraphs. Here's a couple:
    Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial
    Dynamips w/ real switches - Internetworkpro
    First Quad-Core NIC bought | Darren's CCIE mission
    Breaking Dynamips/Dynagen out to connect to real switches and routers | Darren's CCIE mission

And here's an entire forum dedicated to the topic:
    7200emu.hacki.at :: View Forum - Dynamips with real Switches

My next purchase is going to be a couple quad port NICs. Right now I'm using 3640's with a NM-16esw which does quite a bit of switching, but I'm itching to get my 3550 hooked into my topology.

And you can say that again on the cost savings. I've already priced out the pair of ASA's that I finally got working in GNS3. It emulates 5520's and supports up to 8.0.2 with as much RAM and as many Ethernet interfaces as you want.
  • cdmcgcdmcg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Curious, what is your system to prevent the abuse of your guarantee? 100% satisfaction guarantee, if not within the first 30 days full refund and retain access to videos. That seems a little too easily abused.
    Current studies:
    All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification

http://gplus.to/cdmcg
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Has anyone made a tutorial on how to set this up (probably has, and if you have a link I'd love to see it)?
    Don't know if there's a tutorial, but posts showing how it's done have been around for a couple of years.....
    mikej412 wrote: »

Dynamips (Dynagen/GNS3) "breakout switch" to access real hardware
    7200emu.hacki.at :: View topic - HOWTO Connect Real Switches Using One NIC & QinQ

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!