Options

Job got retracted at the last min...

willanderson1111willanderson1111 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was suppose to start my new position next week and got a call from my company today saying that they had to retract the position due to my clearance. Originally it asked for a Secret but now the customer want someone with a TS. Luckily I was able to get my old job back but this sucks. I feel so humiliated b/c I told my coworkers and all my close customers that I was leaving. Anyone went through something similar?

Comments

• Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Did they require a current and active TS or just capable of getting one? If you already have an adjudicated Secret then moving from that to a TS for a company should be pretty easy.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    it happened to one of my co-worker. He sued the other company that didn't hire him since he already quit his old job.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Happened to a few people I know. One of them got quite a settlement from the City of San Francisco. I believe it was somewhere around $10k.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if this qualifies but back in 2007 when I was trying to get into IT a temp agency called TAC World (I think) tried to get me into a project upgrading PC's at the San Francisco Airport. At the time I was making decent money and working only 7 miles from home but I was just doing general boring office work and wanted to do anything IT related. They told me when the contract work begins and I went and got some security clearance to work at the airport. They ended up telling me the job started sooner than later as in the following Monday. I quit that day (Friday) and when Monday rolls around they tell me that the project can't start yet. After that I didn't hear from them even after numerous calls and emails asking them what's the status on the project. I think I was unemployed for two months with no income at all until ended up fixing computers at a retail store for pennies until I got my first desktop support gig.

Almost a year later while I'm on my way home from work I get a call from TAC World telling me they needed me to come do the project at San Francisco Airport because it was going to start in a few weeks. I probably should have kept my cool but I remember yelling at the recruiter and telling him to go screw himself. This still pisses me off to this day.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    I had this happened to me too. I went on two interviews, both with HR and the senior admin and the 2nd interview was with the director of the company. Everything went well, got a call back from the senior admin that i got the job and they'd send over all the paperwork for me to fill out. Days gone by nothing, so i called them up, they said they were busy so give them a few more days, I did....nothiing, then i called them again and was told that they postponed the positionallout.gificon_spiderman.gif I was so pissed...everybody at work know i ws leaving...eventhou i didnt put in my two weeks notice.....icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never quit, until you have a signed offer letter.

If, you do have a signed offer letter, I would probably sue, or ask them to compensate.
    X
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    Yea, i think i would agree with cvuong1984 on this.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear this. In a situation where you are working through an agency, always remember you are regarded as resource to be used and abused. Nothing more than that. Never discuss job moves with your coworkers or hand in your notice until you have all the paperwork for your new position in your hands. There is a risk this can strain relationships with the people that want to place you and they will press you for dates but you must stick to your guns and insist that the offer paperwork is complete before you hand in your notice. This is a mean and dirty industry at times and it is far better to let a potential job offer go than run the risk of resigning your current job only to discover you actually dont have one to go to. Two months without an income is enough to destroy many people's chances of building any savings for an entire year.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's some good info guys. I wish I would have thought of this before but will now keep it in mind for the future.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Turgon wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this. In a situation where you are working through an agency, always remember you are regarded as resource to be used and abused. Nothing more than that. Never discuss job moves with your coworkers or hand in your notice until you have all the paperwork for your new position in your hands. There is a risk this can strain relationships with the people that want to place you and they will press you for dates but you must stick to your guns and insist that the offer paperwork is complete before you hand in your notice. This is a mean and dirty industry at times and it is far better to let a potential job offer go than run the risk of resigning your current job only to discover you actually dont have one to go to. Two months without an income is enough to destroy many people's chances of building any savings for an entire year.

^^ This.

A guy I worked with handed in his resignation because he received an offer. The next day his offer was rescinded, company said they decided not to fill the position. He tried to rescind his resignation, but our boss said no. They let him work until the day he was scheduled to leave, then that was it. Not sure how long it took him to find a job after that.

I was afraid of the same thing happening, so I didn't tell anyone I was looking around. It was several days after I had accepted an offer before I even turned in my resignation. I waited until I had a confirmed start date to do it. Everyone at the job I'm leaving was shocked. Boss asked if there was anything he could do to get me to stay.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    ^^ Seconded!

And even with a signed offer and start date in hand, there's always a risk that the job can be retracted for any reason. That's why it's smart to not burn your bridges.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What about a situation when someone got hired and left their old job, but after a month working at the new job, he/she found out that his/her position is being terminated early, and it's not his/her fault at all?

I can related to this since I had a job at a small business, and the executives were involved in embezzlement. So I got laid off because of there was no way they can pay their employees on the next couple payrolls since other creditors want their money back icon_mad.gif and they were forced to downsize immediately.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What about a situation when someone got hired and left their old job, but after a month working at the new job, he/she found out that his/her position is being terminated early, and it's not his/her fault at all?

I can related to this since I had a job at a small business, and the executives were involved in embezzlement. So I got laid off because of there was no way they can pay their employees on the next couple payrolls since other creditors want their money back icon_mad.gif and they were forced to downsize immediately.
    Well, I'm not a legal expert, so I couldn't say if there would be a basis for a lawsuit. I imagine though, unless you had unpaid wages due, there wouldn't be.

My uncle had a similar situation. He took a new job, but on the first day, realized he made a big mistake. He called his old company back, and the HR guy told him they "lost" resignation paperwork, so, sure, come on back.

Again, shows the importance of maintaining good professional relations.