Options

GEC required for GSE

idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
So... I think by the end of the year i will have enough certifications for the GSE except i will need to take the GSEC.. i never took it because i graduated with a Network Security Degree and didnt want to spend the money for it when i basically have the knowlege. So i went for more specialized certs. Now i am looking to get my GSE and i feel like I will have to spend $700 to challege this now. is there any way around this like a CISSP or something?

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    idr0p wrote: »
    So... I think by the end of the year i will have enough certifications for the GSE except i will need to take the GSEC.. i never took it because i graduated with a Network Security Degree and didnt want to spend the money for it when i basically have the knowlege. So i went for more specialized certs. Now i am looking to get my GSE and i feel like I will have to spend $700 to challege this now. is there any way around this like a CISSP or something?

Have you read the full list of requirements?

GSE pre-requisite baseline is: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA with two gold.
    GSEC pre-requisite is unique because of dual windows and unix coverage.
    Substitution options:
    1. GCWN & GCUX combined can act as a substitute for GSEC
    2. Higher level certifications can act as substitutes for gold papers
    examples: GCFA, GCFW, GCUX, GCWN, GCED, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GREM
    All GSE candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
    • GSEC, GCIH, GCIA plus one substitute 500 - 700 level certification. One certification must be a GIAC Gold.
    • GSEC, GCIH, GCIA plus two substitute 500 - 700 level certifications. No GIAC Gold required.
    • GCWN, GCUX, GCIH, GCIA with one certification being a GIAC Gold.
    • GCWN, GCUX, GCIH, GCIA plus one substitute 500 - 700 level certification. No GIAC Gold required.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    And the challenge fee is $899US if you've never taken the GSEC course.

Information Security Certification - GIAC Challenge
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    Yes I have seen you can take GCWN, GCUX instead however then i would be spending. I see in the cyber guardian program it says you do not need a GSEC if you have your CISSP but you need to be a GSE so i was just wondering. I have probably already put like $6K into training this year and thats the stuff my company has not paid for.
    Completion of the GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC) exam with a score of 80 or above or hold a CISSP certification

My company gets free self study material and a discount on the exam. make makes it out to be like $675, which is where i got that number from.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    no reason you have to do it this year. take some time off, save some money, master the skills you have learned, and then challenge next year.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    idr0p wrote: »
    Yes I have seen you can take GCWN, GCUX instead however then i would be spending. I see in the cyber guardian program it says you do not need a GSEC if you have your CISSP but you need to be a GSE so i was just wondering. I have probably already put like $6K into training this year and thats the stuff my company has not paid for.

My company gets free self study material and a discount on the exam. make makes it out to be like $675, which is where i got that number from.

The SANS Cyber Guardian Program does not require a candidate to become a GSE but you are required to take the test.

SANS: GSE - SANS Cyber Guardian Program
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology