Cisco IOS' you're using

advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

This is my first post and I apologize if this has been asked already. I've been looking through the Cisco IOS databases and I'm curious what most of you are using. I've currently already bought my vouchers for certain days (about 2 months from now) and I would like the appropriate IOS' for packet tracer / GNS3.

Yes, I've had experience on routing and switching, just haven't made the leap. I currently hold my Network+ and Security+ and I'm a Soldier in the US Army.

I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks

Justin
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did most of my GNS3 labbing on 2691 images.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't had any problems with the IOS versions supported by Dynamips -- versions I've tried (and had worked) are 7200, 3745, 3725, 3660, 3640, 3620, 2691, 1700 emulating a 1760, and 2600 emulating a 2651XM.

All IOS images will load faster if you uncompress then first (I use unzip on Linux or Winrar on Windows), but the 2600 images MUST be uncompressed if you want them to work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I haven't had any problems with the IOS versions supported by Dynamips

Ditto. I've yet to find an image for a supported router that didn't work. The ASA on the other hand.... icon_twisted.gif

I'm currently using 7200-advsecurityk9-mz.124-11.T.bin for everything except for Frame Relay switches and c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-10a.bin for that.
  • tek2advancedtek2advanced Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use Advanced IP Services and Advanced Enterprise Services.
    Advanced Enterprise Services, is pretty much everything before it.

I like to look for Advanced Enterprise Services first, then IP Services second when shopping for a new device.

IMO, this is pretty much all the resources you need to understand the different IOS versions and some of it's features.

Cisco IOS Packaging Customer Q&A [Cisco IOS Packaging] - Cisco Systems
    http://media.packetlife.net/media/library/21/Cisco_IOS_Versions.pdf
    CCNA Router IOS Features

Enjoy! icon_study.gif
    I just realized you had asked for versions for GNS3 and I wanted to clarify that I don't use GNS3.
    Certifications - Collect the Entire Set

icon_cheers.gificon_lol.gif

I thought that was hillarious, when I read it. In a good way of course..
  • Toby963Toby963 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    but the 2600 images MUST be uncompressed if you want them to work.

Hi
    Could you please let me know how you managed to get it uncompressed?

I have an image, however its in a .bin format and wish to convert it to a .IMAGE, I have tried "unpack" but still have not had any joy.

Any help would be most helpful.

Toby
  • right43right43 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am interested to buy a 2620XM/2650XM from ebay and I see the ios is 12.4(15)T7. But the system image is c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.T7.bin which mean it is C2600-IPVOICEK9-M.

Is there any way I can upgrade it to C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M (Adv Enterprise). They stated it has 128MB and 48MB Flash.

Thanks
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    right43 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am interested to buy a 2620XM/2650XM from ebay and I see the ios is 12.4(15)T7. But the system image is c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.T7.bin which mean it is C2600-IPVOICEK9-M.

Is there any way I can upgrade it to C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M (Adv Enterprise). They stated it has 128MB and 48MB Flash.

Thanks

to upgrade them you copy the ios image from tftp server on your pc to the flash in the router using
    copy tftp flash

For ccna the ios version doesn't matter that much.

have a read of http://www.certskills.com/Home.aspx

also have a read of the faq http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html

Another good link
    http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/

get a copy of wireshark www.wireshark.org

gns3
    www.gns3.net
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Toby963 wrote: »
    Hi
    Could you please let me know how you managed to get it uncompressed?

I have an image, however its in a .bin format and wish to convert it to a .IMAGE, I have tried "unpack" but still have not had any joy.
    unpack, if it's the Cisco binary image unpacker on Windows, has a read me file that shows the command line options. If it's the Linux unpack, I haven't used that for a while so I'd check the MAN page.

For WinRar or 7-Zip I just rename the .bin to have a .zip (or .rar) extension and open the archive. Then you can drag 'n drop or extract.

I then rename the C<platform>.bin file back to the original file name with a .image extension to make it easier to tell apart from the original file.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Toby963Toby963 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    unpack, if it's the Cisco binary image unpacker on Windows, has a read me file that shows the command line options. If it's the Linux unpack, I haven't used that for a while so I'd check the MAN page.

For WinRar or 7-Zip I just rename the .bin to have a .zip (or .rar) extension and open the archive. Then you can drag 'n drop or extract.

I then rename the C<platform>.bin file back to the original file name with a .image extension to make it easier to tell apart from the original file.

Thanks for the info, its Windows so will backup the IOS just in case and have a go.

Thanks again

Toby