Comp TIA boot camps

cdmcgcdmcg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I was doing some research online and wondering if anyone had any comments/suggestions on doing A+ and Network+ boot camps. I have some money that can only be used for job certification or put towards an associates degree. I was just wondering if they are worth the price tag? When I get on my PC I will link the places I found that are in my area. I live right inbetween San Francisco and Sacramento.
Current studies:
All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification

http://gplus.to/cdmcg

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    In my opinion a CompTIA boot would not be worth it. The CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+ can be picked up easily through some self study. I'd try and buy some CBT videos and books.

If you are already experienced with the exam objectives then by all means I would attempt the boot camp.

I've been to a single boot camp, it was not easy.. I think are worked off 6 hours a sleep a night and studied constantly for 2 weeks (and I mean constant), and I was already familiar with many of the topics (just not all of them as in depth as needed).
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • cdmcgcdmcg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I am just self studying, I will pry just save the money for when I am ready to start working on my CCENT/CCNA stuff. It is money from the government so I have limits on its use.
    Current studies:

• exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have said, self-study is the best way to go.
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Yeah, definitely save the money for the harder certs if possible.
  • cdmcgcdmcg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Bigmantenor, I see you only have your A+ and Network+ listed, do you have other credentials? If not have you had much trouble getting work with just those two certs?
    Current studies:

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I don't have any other credentials as of yet. About to finish my A.A.S. in Information Security, and already have a B.S. in Psychology (long story). I'm taking ICND1 on Thursday, so I should have my CCENT then too. I haven't had too much trouble landing interviews, and have actually gotten 3 offers this month, but I haven't accepted quite yet. Holding out for something that appeals to me.
  • Soloman70Soloman70 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cdmcg wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was doing some research online and wondering if anyone had any comments/suggestions on doing A+ and Network+ boot camps. I have some money that can only be used for job certification or put towards an associates degree. I was just wondering if they are worth the price tag? When I get on my PC I will link the places I found that are in my area. I live right inbetween San Francisco and Sacramento.

Boot camps are not cheap
  • CareerChangeITCareerChangeIT Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Boot camps is like flushing your money down the toilet. There really isnt any value you'll get out of it. If your goal is to pass the test to get your certification you can do that on your own within a month. If you want to do it fast and just drive yourself crazy then boot camps are for you.

Just remember that having a certification without any experience is going to make it very difficult to find employment especially when the unemployment rate is like 9 percent. You are competing with a lot of experienced professionals.

I would not waste the money on a bootcamp. I would put the money into a experienced based training program.