Congrats man!

Definitely a uplifting and motivating achievement there! icon_cheers.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats!

Mathematically speaking, you're halfway there.

Logically speaking, you just ran down a hill, and now you have to run up another, steeper hill to get to the finish line.

Still, though, you're halfway there!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    congrats! big inspiration here!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Congrats and good luck in your lab preparation
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Congratulations, this actually gives me some inspiration! I haven't booked my written yet but will definately go for it before the year is up. Reading through the core books at the moment. Read TCP 1 and 2, the CCIE v4 guide and about halfway through the QoS exam guide. Not sure if I should tackle the MPLS fundamentals book before or after the written, haven't decided yet.

I've been of the mindframe to study for the lab and the written will work itself out so I've also done a bunch of labbing. Up to QoS on the INE Vol1 labs, although I did skip about half the Multicast section as I wanted to stab my eye out with a spoon. I might see if work will get me the Multicast deep dive from INE as it's one of those topics that bores me to death. I've also done a bunch of Narbik technology labs as well. Work has actually been really good to me, even if I don't use a lot of the tech at my job they'll still buy me whatever I want. I just got the downloadable INE ATC 4.5 videos which are meant to be really good. 80 or so hours of vids from one of the masters. The most annoying thing about it is that INE don't give you a link to download all the vids in one hit so it has to be done 1 by 1. I think I'll use this as a complete review before I sit the written.

Anyway enough rambling by me, good luck studying for the lab!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    instant000 wrote: »
    Congrats!

Mathematically speaking, you're halfway there.

Logically speaking, you just ran down a hill, and now you have to run up another, steeper hill to get to the finish line.

Still, though, you're halfway there!

Nah, I don't even think it's halfway. Everything I've done before, I look at as preliminary. Now is when the work really begins.
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »
    I've been of the mindframe to study for the lab and the written will work itself out so I've also done a bunch of labbing.

I was initially as well, but I think that's a slight mistake. The Written and the Lab test two different things, the Lab tests practical skills, the Written is about theory.

And passing the Written puts you on the clock. It gives you a definitive deadline to work towards, as opposed to 'I'll take the written when I get closer to ready for the lab', which means it might never happen.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    I was initially as well, but I think that's a slight mistake. The Written and the Lab test two different things, the Lab tests practical skills, the Written is about theory.

And passing the Written puts you on the clock. It gives you a definitive deadline to work towards, as opposed to 'I'll take the written when I get closer to ready for the lab', which means it might never happen.

Yeah I know where you're coming from but I want to give myself a head start on the lab before the actual clock starts ticking down. Ultimately if I can go from the written straight to practicing full labs I'll be a happy camper
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I just started my studies for the CCIE Written and I'm doing the same thing you did. I am acting like I know nothing in reference to my studies.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

You took the correct approach in my opinion. Also being hot off the written a lot of the lab book solutions will make a lot more sense!
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your the 3rd person who referenced the Clark Switching book.. Heck for $7 on Barnes and Noble I couldnt help but pick it up :)
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on your lab studies.
    I got the Clark book for £8 off ebay as extra reading for the switch exam;out of date and contains a lot of CatOS but really helped me master spanning tree theory.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on your lab studies.
    I got the Clark book for £8 off ebay as extra reading for the switch exam;out of date and contains a lot of CatOS but really helped me master spanning tree theory.

Yup, that's why I say, you can't rely on it for the hands on portion, the configuration examples are totally irrelevant, but when it comes to learning how layer 2 works on Cisco gear on a theoretical level, there's no better book. The fact that it's so cheap makes it even more appealing. The shipping cost more than the sale price on my copy.

And I just realized I forgot to say thanks to all of you who've wished me well. I may be a taciturn sob, but I do appreciate it.
  • Options
    It's a big thumbs up for classic books like Kennedy Clark and Caslow that nobody reads anymore and are available used on Amazon for the price of a happy meal.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have the Kennedy Clark book - Excellent.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Turgon wrote: »
    It's a big thumbs up for classic books like Kennedy Clark and Caslow that nobody reads anymore and are available used on Amazon for the price of a happy meal.
    I just noticed that the LAN Switching was under 4 bucks.

*another thick book to put on the desk*
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »

Agreed on the Caslow book as well. It's been another useful source of knowledge, though I don't go back to it so much anymore. For it's price, it's worth picking up and reading once, especially the frame relay section if it's one of your problem areas
  • Options
    Agreed on the Caslow book as well. It's been another useful source of knowledge, though I don't go back to it so much anymore. For it's price, it's worth picking up and reading once, especially the frame relay section if it's one of your problem areas

Absolutely right on Caslow and frame. His overall methodology is good too. 360 aka Netmasters has a lot to thank Bruce for.