Options

Need Help Figuring Out Career Path

RchrdJRchrdJ Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am an 18 year old student who is looking to pursue a career in the IT field. However, I am a bit lost as to what my career path should be.

To start, I am looking to ultimately become a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer). However, I don't know where to start. From what I understand, the MCSE is an upgrade certificate, but I am confused as to what it needs to be upgraded from.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. I am mainly interested in finding out what I can study right now to make it a bit easier for me once I am out of university.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    RchrdJ wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an 18 year old student who is looking to pursue a career in the IT field. However, I am a bit lost as to what my career path should be.

To start, I am looking to ultimately become a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer). However, I don't know where to start. From what I understand, the MCSE is an upgrade certificate, but I am confused as to what it needs to be upgraded from.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. I am mainly interested in finding out what I can study right now to make it a bit easier for me once I am out of university.

Welcome to the forum. Is there any particular reason why you are looking into MCSE? That track is based on Windows Server 2003 and since some exams already started expiring most of us will recommend going for an MCITP which is the same thing but based on Windows Server 2008. Both tracks are a series of exams. the links below will show you which exams each one of the tracks require.

MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Do you have any IT experience? Since the Microsoft exams are very in depth, for newcomers a normal starting point is CompTIA A+ and Network+.
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were your age and had a choice to start over, I would go into security. Start with Security+ and work your way up. As you can see from the recent ramp up in cyberwarfare, security is on everyones tongue.
  • Options
    bags275bags275 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MSCE is usually a 4 part exam and I believe the MSCE 2008 sever exams require to have your MSCA first.

I got started late in IT field 22 years old but now have my BA in Computer Network Systems now 26 years old but went to a private school to do so and racked up a good amount of debt.

If I were you go to a coummity college take some classes, intern some where, then started obtaining your Microsoft certs. If you want to pursue more educational wise after look at schools that offer a CIS program or CNS program
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bags275 wrote: »
    MSCE is usually a 4 part exam and I believe the MSCE 2008 sever exams require to have your MSCA first.

I got started late in IT field 22 years old but now have my BA in Computer Network Systems now 26 years old but went to a private school to do so and racked up a good amount of debt.

If I were you go to a coummity college take some classes, intern some where, then started obtaining your Microsoft certs. If you want to pursue more educational wise after look at schools that offer a CIS program or CNS program

You are incorrect. MCSA is four exams (you can use comptia as an elective). MCSE is 7 exams. You can upgrade from either MCSA or MCSE to 2008.

I get lost with all the new 2008 titles.

First, try to figure out what area you want to be in. I started off as a jack of all trades: programming, networking, system admin. I wished I figured it out and specialized back then.

Do you want to do system admin, networking, security, exchange?

If you like the MCSE stuff start by taking your Windows 7 exam. Others will say get your comptia certs because starting out, you will most likely start at a helpdesk or desktop job. They are also good in helping you figure out what area you might like.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action