Options

Forgot my interviewers name..... ideas?

So I would like to send my interviewer a thank you letter and have a company email address to send it to. However I forgot my interviewers name....I was really nervous! So how do i compose a letter without his name? Yeah I know I screwed up.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Do you have any paperwork from him, like a business card or some other documentation? You could also check out the company's website and see if he's listed on there, or maybe try to gleam the name from his email address. If the email address uses his first initial and last name, for example, you might be able to jog your memory. . . or you could just address him as "Mr. _______", if you figure out the last name, (or "Miss ______", whichever the case may be.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In addition to what Slowhand said, you can perhaps ring up the HR person that sent you to the interview.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't worry about sending it out. A lot of times it's nice, but not really THAT needed. If they want to interview you again, they will call you.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    So I would like to send my interviewer a thank you letter and have a company email address to send it to. However I forgot my interviewers name....I was really nervous! So how do i compose a letter without his name? Yeah I know I screwed up.

Since you have the e-mail, try plugging that e-mail in to Google and see what comes up.

Sometimes you can find the person's name by doing that.

Otherwise, as Essendon mentioned, you can try calling HR. I've never sent out thank-you notes simply because there were too many people interviewing me and I feared it would create too much of a hassle for them.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    To company A,

I would like to thank you guys (the company) and the Engineer for taking a bit off their time and consider me etc etc

Of course not that way, but you can find workarounds
    meh
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224

I go into an interview armed with a few things
    1) Copies of my resume ( one for me, one for each person I think will be there based on earlier conversations, and an extra copy just in case).
    2) Copy of the cover letter I sent out (if I sent one)
    3) Copy of the job announcement I replied to. Before the interview, I put questions I may have on this so as the interview proceeds, and I get asked if I have any questions, I do have some. How large is the environment? What OS(s) are being run? Is the hardware leased / owned? What is the primary vendor / brand? What is the hardware refresh cycle? Any other questions I feel might be relevant to what the job may entail.

During the interview, I put the names of the interviewers on that paperwork. If I'm presented with a problem/question I don't have an immediate solution for, I write it down and the name of the person who asked it. I collect business cards if they hand them out. After I leave, I stop somewhere along the way and write down any impressions I may have.

When I send out a thank you letter, I've got the interviewers names on the paperwork I brought with me and took back out. I provide a short response to any unanswered questions I may have written down.

As for the interview you've already been to, if you still want the job send a generic thank you to whatever email address you do have and ask that they pass it along. If you don't want the job (I've had a couple of interviews where the people I was introduced to as being on the IT team came off like Snape or Malfoy and I wasn't going to work with them) then don't bother with the thank you note since you'd rather they forgot your name anyway.

----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might be out of luck in this case. Maybe browsing their website will turn up his name and by seeing it you will remember.

I always ask to get a business card. People love to hand them out and then I don't have to write it down.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I always ask to get a business card. People love to hand them out and then I don't have to write it down.
    +1 here. Always ask for a business card. Search for the guy on Google or LinkedIn.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thank you notes are one of those things that might tilt a candidate who wrote one versus one didn't. Probably 1 in a 1000 occurance.

Of course, I prefer to be the one being tilted, so I take the time to write one. Doesn't take me long to pen out something real quick. Don't have a specific incident where I can say it helped me. But, can't cite an incident where it hurt me either.
  • Options
    Search for the guy on Google or LinkedIn.

A lot of times they will give you the persons name ahead of time who you will be interviewing with. Feel free to stalk them because they are gonna do the same to you!
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    A lot of times they will give you the persons name ahead of time who you will be interviewing with. Feel free to stalk them because they are gonna do the same to you!
    You're not joking there! Last report, 45% of the companies Google a candidate's name and search social networking sites with the candidate's name. In one news article, it said at least 16% of the companies asked said they dismissed a candidate based on what they found on their profiles.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "Dear potential bane of my life..."
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    thanks for all the replies all sound suggestions. Someone from HR contacted me yesterday inquiring as to whether or not i was still interested in the job. I sucked it up and ask for the interviewers name. So I will be sending out the letter tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds good for you if they are calling you to find that out. Over here they usually say to think about it overnight and call them the next day if you are still interested.
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    Just got the call back from sony. I start 3 day paid training monday. However this training is a pass or no job crash course. Also Its going to cause me to miss 3 days of school. I feel like this will not go over well with my teacher because I also have a bit of a family emergency and I have told her theres a possibilty I may have to leave for a few days. I hope she understands and lets me stay in the class.
  • Options
    thanks for all the replies all sound suggestions. Someone from HR contacted me yesterday inquiring as to whether or not i was still interested in the job. I sucked it up and ask for the interviewers name. So I will be sending out the letter tomorrow morning.
    If you're being asked this, the thank you card might be a moot point. I won't say don't send it, but I'm sure it isn't make or break anymore
    Just got the call back from sony. I start 3 day paid training monday. However this training is a pass or no job crash course. Also Its going to cause me to miss 3 days of school. I feel like this will not go over well with my teacher because I also have a bit of a family emergency and I have told her theres a possibilty I may have to leave for a few days. I hope she understands and lets me stay in the class.

Congratulations! Most teachers are pretty understanding, at least where I went to school. They know that their job is to prepare you to get a job. If you can get one while still in school, they will usually bend some things here and there. Family emergencies things can be bended for too. Just stay on top of your work and there shouldn't be any issues.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185

In regards to the school thing, there is one tip I will pass along. I worked as a lab assistant for professors for 3.5 years. If you must discuss it with the person, be sure there is no one else in the room with you or explain the situation during their office hours. Do not under any circumstance try to explain it over e-mail as it will result in a misunderstanding.

Most of the time the people will work with you as long as you are being reasonable.