Options

CCNP Completed (passed TSHOOT)

Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
So, passed TSHOOT today with a perfect score - I'm now a CCNP YAAAAAYicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

This exam was a delight to take, really! For anybody who has worked in networking for a while, TSHOOT will be a breeze, I promise. I went through all of the trouble tickets in about an hour, noting my answers on the laminate. I then spent a good half hour reviewing my answers, when i was happy I completed the tickets. also it's worth drawing out the basic topology on your laminate during the tutorial time - it'll be in your head from studying it!!! (see below) add the ip addresses in when you start the exam - I barely had to refer to the onscreen topology because of this - big timesaver because gettting those on screen windows into a decent arrabgement is a complete pain, as I'm sure you're all aware from previous sim type questions in cisco exams.

I didn't really do a lot of prep specifically for this exam, but what I did do really worked for me. feel free to take my advice.

1 - Study the Topology

The TSHOOT topology is available on Cisco's website as a PDF download - https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6738
This an amazing resource, study it and learn it, build it at home if you can. If you spend enough time on this you can almost predict where potential problems will be and what you will need to check for different symptoms. For example, you know fron the PDF that R1 is performing NAT to the web - take this as a hint to brush up on your NAT config, especially as it's not really covered on the ROUTE or SWITCH exams.

R4 is the DHCP server for clients 1 & 2, by looking at the topology you can deduce that DSW1 & 2 must have IP helper addresses configured on them, explore the potential problems with this tech.

DSW1 and 2 are running HSRP and 1 should be active, so you know not to waste any time reviewing GLBP or VRRP for this exam.

Because of the L3 Port-channel between DSW1 & 2 there is little potential for a loop in the L2 topology (unless the Port-Channels are badly configured) so this could speed up your diagnostics.

You know where all the vlans are, what ports should be in them and which trunks they should exist on.

I could go on, but you get the idea, study this document and conquer the exam. It also means you won't spend half of the exam flicking between diagrams!

2 - do a few runs of the TSHOOT demo on the cisco website - TSHOOT Demo Item

This will give you a good feel for how to navigate the exam and the structure of the questions. It's not the full topology and some behaviours are different in the real exam, but I can't break NDA.

In a completley unrelated comment - TRACEROUTE WORKS FROM THE CLIENT IN THE DEMO - just an observation on the DEMO

3 - watch Kevin Wallace's TSHOOT strategy videos on you tube, you need to have a plan of attack for this exam and his is pretty good. YouTube - ‪TSHOOT Bull's Eye Strategy #1‬‏ (there are 3 vids) the others will be on this page somewhere

4 - Don't let any one trouble ticket stress you out, you can abort and come back to it later - a nice touch and an unusual luxury for cisco exams, also if you abort you can go into another ticket and review the potentially 'good configs' for the device you've been investigating - careful with this strategy though.

5 - Don't complete the tickets until you've been through them all - make a note of your answer for each in your laminate and then you can review at the end - there's loads of time on this exam, how bad would it be if you rushed through, finished within an hour and then couldn't review your answers.

6 - Finally, don't stress, this exam is a refreshing, enjoyable experience and it's really not that difficult.

As for me now, I've got to do the JNCIA in August for work. After that, I'm not sure; it's a toss up between CCIP and CCDA/DP. I haven't really decided yet. The one thing I have decided is that as soon as the JNCIA is passed I'm taking a straight month of studies, just to spend some quality time with the family. I've taken and passed 5 Cisco exams since October, I reckon I'm due a break!!! Although I'm sure I'll be getting my resources and lab together during that time for the next one, can't leave it alone altogether - Withdrawal pains.
Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
:study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That's a huge accomplishment. Congratulations!!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats homie.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations! :D
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chris_ wrote: »
    So, passed TSHOOT today with a perfect score - I'm now a CCNP YAAAAAYicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

This exam was a delight to take, really! For anybody who has worked in networking for a while, TSHOOT will be a breeze, I promise. I went through all of the trouble tickets in about an hour, noting my answers on the laminate. I then spent a good half hour reviewing my answers, when i was happy I completed the tickets. also it's worth drawing out the basic topology on your laminate during the tutorial time - it'll be in your head from studying it!!! (see below) add the ip addresses in when you start the exam - I barely had to refer to the onscreen topology because of this - big timesaver because gettting those on screen windows into a decent arrabgement is a complete pain, as I'm sure you're all aware from previous sim type questions in cisco exams.

I didn't really do a lot of prep specifically for this exam, but what I did do really worked for me. feel free to take my advice.

1 - Study the Topology

The TSHOOT topology is available on Cisco's website as a PDF download - https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6738
    This an amazing resource, study it and learn it, build it at home if you can. If you spend enough time on this you can almost predict where potential problems will be and what you will need to check for different symptoms. For example, you know fron the PDF that R1 is performing NAT to the web - take this as a hint to brush up on your NAT config, especially as it's not really covered on the ROUTE or SWITCH exams.

R4 is the DHCP server for clients 1 & 2, by looking at the topology you can deduce that DSW1 & 2 must have IP helper addresses configured on them, explore the potential problems with this tech.

DSW1 and 2 are running HSRP and 1 should be active, so you know not to waste any time reviewing GLBP or VRRP for this exam.

Because of the L3 Port-channel between DSW1 & 2 there is little potential for a loop in the L2 topology (unless the Port-Channels are badly configured) so this could speed up your diagnostics.

You know where all the vlans are, what ports should be in them and which trunks they should exist on.

I could go on, but you get the idea, study this document and conquer the exam. It also means you won't spend half of the exam flicking between diagrams!

2 - do a few runs of the TSHOOT demo on the cisco website - TSHOOT Demo Item

This will give you a good feel for how to navigate the exam and the structure of the questions. It's not the full topology and some behaviours are different in the real exam, but I can't break NDA.

In a completley unrelated comment - TRACEROUTE WORKS FROM THE CLIENT IN THE DEMO - just an observation on the DEMO

3 - watch Kevin Wallace's TSHOOT strategy videos on you tube, you need to have a plan of attack for this exam and his is pretty good. YouTube - ‪TSHOOT Bull's Eye Strategy #1‬‏ (there are 3 vids) the others will be on this page somewhere

4 - Don't let any one trouble ticket stress you out, you can abort and come back to it later - a nice touch and an unusual luxury for cisco exams, also if you abort you can go into another ticket and review the potentially 'good configs' for the device you've been investigating - careful with this strategy though.

5 - Don't complete the tickets until you've been through them all - make a note of your answer for each in your laminate and then you can review at the end - there's loads of time on this exam, how bad would it be if you rushed through, finished within an hour and then couldn't review your answers.

6 - Finally, don't stress, this exam is a refreshing, enjoyable experience and it's really not that difficult.

As for me now, I've got to do the JNCIA in August for work. After that, I'm not sure; it's a toss up between CCIP and CCDA/DP. I haven't really decided yet. The one thing I have decided is that as soon as the JNCIA is passed I'm taking a straight month of studies, just to spend some quality time with the family. I've taken and passed 5 Cisco exams since October, I reckon I'm due a break!!! Although I'm sure I'll be getting my resources and lab together during that time for the next one, can't leave it alone altogether - Withdrawal pains.

Good tips. This may even be useful for my prep for the TS part of the lab exam.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrads. I found the exam to be hard, but liked that it was more "real-world" situations than memory ****. I'm horrible at remembering proper syntax for commands.

I ended up having to abort on two sections, and go back to them later. Both ended up being very easy after i stepped away from them for a hour or so.
  • Options
    joshbjoshb Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Nicely done..
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Congrats and really good write up. Anyone taking the exam should definately follow your tips
  • Options
    JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! That's quite the accomplishment!
    Lab on!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, hoping to join you in the near future

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering