Options

Putting Confidential for Employer on Resume

Do you guys do this on your resume for your current employer when you send out resumes?

I've been doing it just in case if the prospective employer knows someone at your current employment. I'm afraid if they get contacted, I could be out of a job. I figured it's a better chance of getting hired somewhere when you're employed and looking than not be employed and looking.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    jdchildersjdchilders Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you guys do this on your resume for your current employer when you send out resumes?

I've been doing it just in case if the prospective employer knows someone at your current employment. I'm afraid if they get contacted, I could be out of a job. I figured it's a better chance of getting hired somewhere when you're employed and looking than not be employed and looking.

What do you guys think?

Interesting, never thought about doing that. First notion to me, it seems like it would hurt your resume more than help it. Waiting for others' input.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Never done it on my actual resume. I've set my resume profile to private/confidential on the big job sites so it's still search-able, but won't show who I work for. Never saw any reason to take it any further than that.
  • Options
    btlegacybtlegacy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How have your responses been with that confidential listing?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    btlegacy wrote: »
    How have your responses been with that confidential listing?

Hah.

I tend to not list my current employer on Linked-In. I usually just put this: "Employer Name Withheld"

On the resume, it's not that big a deal to me.

If your company ever goes out and looks for people, they'll see your resume out there themselves, whether or not you put their company on it.

At a past job, my manager asked me if I had my resume out there on sites (I'm not stupid, I'm pretty sure HR saw it and informed him, while we were staffing for some positions.)

I just informed him that I always try to update my resume at least once a month, and sometimes, as often as once a week. It has nothing to do with my current level of job satisfaction. I let him know that I've always had a resume posted online since I left the military in 2006. (At the time we had this conversation, I'd been with the company for two years.) I told him that I would not be taking my resume down until I died or retired, whichever came sooner. Also, I let him know that "at will employment" works both ways, and if the company really wanted me to, I would take my resume down if I was given a 50% raise and an agreement for one year's severance if they canned me (regardless of the reason).

Needless to say, my resume stayed up, LOL.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)