Options

Got an interview for a Jr. Network admin position coming up. Any tips?

MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been stuck wasting away as a Helpdesk Tech for several years, so of course I'd be thrilled if I got a job offer. My networking experience consists of coursework (Telecom/IT degree) and troubleshooting network issues mostly from the user in (see if he can ping the router, etc.).

Any tips on what to expect from the interview or what kind of skill level a Jr. Network Admin would be expected to have?

I'd say I have a reasonable knowledege of Networking (I know most of what you'd see on the Network+) but I'm not an expert on subnetting or Cisco or anything like that. Anyone having any advice?

Comments

• Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Study up on anything you don't feel confident on.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have one main tip for you, do not BS your abilities. If they don't spot it immediately, they will pretty quickly and you'll be looking for something else. Be upfront and honest about what you know and don't know. Not knowing something isn't going to kill your chances, being able to learn it or know where to find the answer is key.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Agree, dont like about knowing stuff you dont.
    Never.

Also, did you applied to this position?
    Wasnt there a list of some duties you should perform?
    meh
  • Options
    MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, the interview was Friday, dunno if I got the job but I think the interview went reasonably well. After we were done interviewing he gave me a tour and showed me the server room as well as where some of the other IT guys worked, so I think that's a good sign.

But hey, if not it was a learning experience.