Options

Would I be able to get a second cox cable subscription at home?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I still live at home. Someone is always hogging the television downstairs. Would it be possible for me to have cox come out and install a wall jack in my room upstairs so that I have my own subscription that I pay for independently of my mothers's downstairs?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I don't see why not. Will they add extra wall jacks for you though? I'm sure they'll bring a cable box and/or modem out for you, and hook it up to any existing jack, or run an extra line to the house if needed, but I don't know that cable companies will run coax through your walls and install a jack for you, at least not cheaply.

You don't have to have your own subscription if all you want is to be able to watch something else. You just need an additional cable box, and coax run to it. It'll probably be an extra $5/month on your parents bill. Internet on the other hand, you'll have to get your own subscription. Just run the coax yourself, it's not that hard.

I'm getting rid of the TV side of my cable subscription, and switching my internet to business class. I have a couple of WD Live Plus boxes (got them for free) on the way, and I'll be starting a Netflix subscription. Much cheaper, and I'll have a better selection of things to watch. My cable bill has crept up to $130/month for just internet and basic HD TV. I don't even have any movie channels! Business class internet, 12Mbps up, 2 Mbps down, is $60/month, no bandwidth cap or port restrictions. + $15/month for Netflix (streaming + DVD by mail) = $75/month. So I'll save $55/month.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I worked for a Cable ISP years back. You could get a second plan but it has to be under the same name.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why not just give them a call and ask?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might have to end up paying for a new line to be laid if one isn't available. You will also almost certainly be in charge of running any cabling inside the house (unless you want to pay them or someone else to do it).

I go with Networker, give them a call.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My ISP has run and reran cable for me a few times. Never paid a dime.

Paying your own whole new account sounds silly when all you need is a tv and connection. There's a small fee for that. Mine was 29 bucks. If you get an actual box, it will cost more.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    SteveLord wrote: »
    My ISP has run and reran cable for me a few times. Never paid a dime.

Paying your own whole new account sounds silly when all you need is a tv and connection. There's a small fee for that. Mine was 29 bucks. If you get an actual box, it will cost more.

The issue is you only get so much bandwith per cable modem. Adding an additional modem/service to the account will allow him to not have to share the connection with the rest of the house.

All you should have to do is either rent/buy a new modem and have them add it to your account. Add the additional charge and provision the equipment. This is of course if you have a cable line in the room.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    uh....move out and getchya own interwebs and cables?

JK, I wish I would have stayed living at home much longer than I did. Could have been riding around in a new paid off vehicle.

I have a buddy that works for a contractor of the only big ISP in my town. His job is to drive around all day and hookup cable/internet/phone. They do what ever possible to make a sale. Even if it involves climbing up the telephone pole or running and fishing coax.

Call your company and ask. Or can you get dish, it may be easier...?
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »
    The issue is you only get so much bandwith per cable modem. Adding an additional modem/service to the account will allow him to not have to share the connection with the rest of the house.

All you should have to do is either rent/buy a new modem and have them add it to your account. Add the additional charge and provision the equipment. This is of course if you have a cable line in the room.

Notice that the OP is only talking about TV.
  • Options
    LucasMN wrote: »
    uh....move out and getchya own interwebs and cables?

JK, I wish I would have stayed living at home much longer than I did. Could have been riding around in a new paid off vehicle.

This is my boat right now. 22 years old, pay my parents a nominal rental fee, and I get many benefits. I've been browsing the market off and on for a year saying that in the next couple months it's gonna be it. But I just can't sign the form to waste away $700+ on rent plus utilities on top of that. (I already got the new paid off vehicle)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I still live at home. Someone is always hogging the television downstairs. Would it be possible for me to have cox come out and install a wall jack in my room upstairs so that I have my own subscription that I pay for independently of my mothers's downstairs?

How about Dish or Direct TV? I know for fact that these two are often cheaper than cable.

Cable and Satellite TV

Comparison of Cable and Satellite Televison

PRICES

Because satellite providers don't have to pay taxes levied by local governments and feature smaller infrastructures, consumers get more bang for the buck with satellite. Right now, cable's low-end price is better, but with a third of the channels it's not an easy sale when compared to satellite's lowest package. Cable companies have millions of miles of outdated lines buried below ground, and are in the process of converting their technology to digital, which will be expensive. While satellite offers lower programming packages across the board, companies do charge fees per room receiving the signal. Though, some cable companies do, too. Edge: Satellite

Questions and answers to some common myths associated with Digital Television. A great
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    How about Dish or Direct TV? I know for fact that these two are often cheaper than cable.

Cable and Satellite TV

Comparison of Cable and Satellite Televison

PRICES

Because satellite providers don't have to pay taxes levied by local governments and feature smaller infrastructures, consumers get more bang for the buck with satellite. Right now, cable's low-end price is better, but with a third of the channels it's not an easy sale when compared to satellite's lowest package. Cable companies have millions of miles of outdated lines buried below ground, and are in the process of converting their technology to digital, which will be expensive. While satellite offers lower programming packages across the board, companies do charge fees per room receiving the signal. Though, some cable companies do, too. Edge: Satellite

Questions and answers to some common myths associated with Digital Television. A great
    Haha... You sound like a sales person! icon_thumright.gif

We had satellite television and whenever it rains, say bye bye to the show you were watching.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This is my boat right now. 22 years old, pay my parents a nominal rental fee, and I get many benefits. I've been browsing the market off and on for a year saying that in the next couple months it's gonna be it. But I just can't sign the form to waste away $700+ on rent plus utilities on top of that. (I already got the new paid off vehicle)
    This sounds exactly like me and in fact, I am 22 :) I pay rent(very low by the way) to my mom, and I do have a paid off new vehicle as well!! I don't plan on moving out for another few years though for a few reasons.

Also, guys I am only talking about TV. I do not have a jack installed in my room either.
  • Options
    This sounds exactly like me and in fact, I am 22 :) I pay rent(very low by the way) to my mom, and I do have a paid off new vehicle as well!! I don't plan on moving out for another few years though for a few reasons.

Also, guys I am only talking about TV. I do not have a jack installed in my room either.

They can put one in and run the cable out the wall and route it around to where the rest of it enters the house. Seriously, it's that easy.

Don't buy into the satellite hype. They run the same contract/new customer pricing schemes. And their channel lineups are only good with the higher tier plans. Read up on tech support experiences and you wouldn't think anyone is worse than the cable companies, but they manage to be. Especially since they subcontract just about everything.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

They just connect your room to the cable line that serves your home. No additional account needed. You can't get it yourself because you are not the property owner so just tell your momma llamma that you want to get TV up there. It improves the resale value of your home and the cost should be minimal to your mom.
  • Options
    So I I've gotten conflicting information. I am wondering that if I get cable added to another room, will there be an increase in the monthly bill or is it a one time thing just for the installation of the cable medium? This is cox cable. I decided that I will call them, only when I just went to the number says they are closed icon_neutral.gif And the number on the website claims to be 24/7 too.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    So I I've gotten conflicting information. I am wondering that if I get cable added to another room, will there be an increase in the monthly bill or is it a one time thing just for the installation of the cable medium? This is cox cable. I decided that I will call them, only when I just went to the number says they are closed icon_neutral.gif And the number on the website claims to be 24/7 too.
    If I understand the thread and that your talking about strictly TV -

There will be a one time installation cost for the physical 'cable medium' as well as an additional monthly cost for lease of a set-top box. The fee should be >$20.00 depending on the type of box (DVR, basic, etc.).

As had been suggested, Hulu and Netflix might serve your interests better, both in content and as on-demand programming options.
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304

Sounds like me as well. I am 21 however, and do not pay rent. Used to when i had a retail job, and now I have a contract Desktop Technician job. Saving up money so I can finish my AA and get my Bachelors. I plan on moving out when im 25-30 years old. If the prices of apartments are cheap and they can install comcast internet.
  • Options
    A cable box is not required for additional television setups.
  • Options

It's gonna be in the next few months for me. It's only a 21 mile commute, but when the snow starts flying that 21 miles can take 2+ hours. I can't do that for another winter. Plus hopefully I can get somewhere with covered parking so I don't need to bother with knocking 3 feet of snow off of my car in the morning!

Plus I think it would be good for some other things. It would be nice to bring a girl home without things being awkward. But I'm certainly gonna miss the cooking... icon_scratch.gif

Armymanis wrote: »
    I plan on moving out when im 25-30 years old. If the prices of apartments are cheap and they can install comcast internet.

I'd like to be able to just buy a house and skip the whole apartment thing. Pricewise (at least here) it's basically the same. The difference is a down payment and whether you are responsible for repairs. The way the market looks right now, my 1 bedroom apartment would be more a month than my parents mortgage. Something seems wrong with that picture...
  • Options
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    As had been suggested, Hulu and Netflix might serve your interests better, both in content and as on-demand programming options.

Amazon has their new program too.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to just buy a house and skip the whole apartment thing. Pricewise (at least here) it's basically the same. The difference is a down payment and whether you are responsible for repairs. The way the market looks right now, my 1 bedroom apartment would be more a month than my parents mortgage. Something seems wrong with that picture...

What's more wrong is only looking at the cost for the living space itself and not the hidden costs associated with upkeep. Then again, you're are 22. ;)

Wait till you see how much stuff breaks within the first 2 years. Do you know how to fix refrigerators, furnaces, air conditioners, washers/dryers, sump pumps? Know about property taxes? Garbage/water/sewage fees? Know how much you have to buy in weed and pest control each year? Have a snowblower? Know how to paint and put on siding? Etc etc etc.