Options

Career Path Advice wanted Computer Forensics

acv987acv987 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I would appreciate any constructive advice you could provide.

I have decided I really would enjoy a career path in Computer Forensics. Everything I have read about opportunities in this field work well with my interests and personality.

I tried to do some research about what type of schooling I should aim for, but The first 5 pages of Google results are nothing but ads and BS.

Currently, I work as a PC hardware tech for my company. I have some college completed but no degree.

Would I be better off going back to college and getting a bachelors degree in Computer Science, or should I look into taking some of these Infosec courses?

Whats more important, the degree or the Certs?

Im just really lost and don't know where to go from here. Im sick of what I am doing, I know what I'd like to do, but I just can't figure out the correct path to get there.

Comments

• Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    acv987 wrote: »
    Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I would appreciate any constructive advice you could provide.

I have decided I really would enjoy a career path in Computer Forensics. Everything I have read about opportunities in this field work well with my interests and personality.

I tried to do some research about what type of schooling I should aim for, but The first 5 pages of Google results are nothing but ads and BS.

Currently, I work as a PC hardware tech for my company. I have some college completed but no degree.

Would I be better off going back to college and getting a bachelors degree in Computer Science, or should I look into taking some of these Infosec courses?

Whats more important, the degree or the Certs?

Im just really lost and don't know where to go from here. Im sick of what I am doing, I know what I'd like to do, but I just can't figure out the correct path to get there.

Most people are going to say experience is the king, but it is very hard to get any experience in a field now a days unless you have something related to the field in your resume. It sounds like you have more pc background experience then me, so finding a job in the InfoSec should be easy. Now a days most people want not only security clearance, but a 4 year bachelors degree in something. That is the standard in my opinion. Either go to WGU or your local University. I would recommend going to a community college and getting your transfer Associates and then going to a University and getting a computer degree there. Or a security degree. If you can afford it, if you can't go to WGU.
  • Options
    acv987acv987 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Most people are going to say experience is the king, but it is very hard to get any experience in a field now a days unless you have something related to the field in your resume. It sounds like you have more pc background experience then me, so finding a job in the InfoSec should be easy. Now a days most people want not only security clearance, but a 4 year bachelors degree in something. That is the standard in my opinion. Either go to WGU or your local University. I would recommend going to a community college and getting your transfer Associates and then going to a University and getting a computer degree there. Or a security degree. If you can afford it, if you can't go to WGU.

Thanks for the response. I know I really need experience, but thats impossible for me to get without some type of certs or degree on the resume like you said. Do you think getting the degree would be a better option than trying to get some of these certs? (CCFE) ect?
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    acv987 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I know I really need experience, but thats impossible for me to get without some type of certs or degree on the resume like you said. Do you think getting the degree would be a better option than trying to get some of these certs? (CCFE) ect?

To me personally, I think degree's are highly more valued then certs are if you do not have any experience in IT or security. Cert's show your experience level. I would go for the degree.