Options

Confused about VMware

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
Im just getting into the VM world and am t-totally overwhelmed by all the products, so i have no idea even where to start...but assume i'll start with vmware as opposed to the other vendors. The last time i looked into this BESR baremetal restore was a hot technology...but i assume vmware has something better or at least similar.

That said, im tasked with coming up with a long term DR plan, and I think I can use virtualization to do it most effeciently. Ive got 10 2k3/2k8 servers with SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, web...anywho, my thought was two things.

One: From the primary site, do log shipping or mirroring for SQL, and schedule a P2V weekly to make sure i have fresh images to bring up (is that even a correct way of thinking?) at the secondary site.

Two: Virtualize my 10 servers into 1 box, and copy that off to one other box.

The couple of quotes ive gotten from contractors typically include a SAN at each site as well.

Im not sure what product line i should be looking into or anything. All advice and criticism is welcome. Im not concerned about budget yet - that will be there, but i am concerned about correct planning, simplicity, ease of use, reliability, and testability.

Comments

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I guess this will come down to how much of a budget you have and how much downtime your company can handle while you bring the warm site online and up to date.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    budget is around 125, but we should be able to do it for much less. 2 beast machines and licensing probably the bulk of the costs, that would probably get us in under 50 i would think.

downtime we are willing to handle, 1 day.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have that much budget, you should get two servers for your primary site and get enough VMware licensing to support high availability and vMotion. Also think about getting a proper VM backup solution, if you do not already have something that supports it correctly. You should still get in way under budget.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...