Options

Master's Degrees and the GMAT/GRE

hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
I recently graduated from college and am on my first job so I'm not interested at this second to go back to get a master's, but I do want to eventually.

The problem is, I'm not sure if I can pass the GMAT/GRE. Is there ever a point where you don't have to take this test? Like after a certain number of years.

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Many lower tier colleges don't require it. To get into a competitive program at an upper tier college will require one or the other.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    The GRE is basically the SAT, stupid and pointless. If you get some prep material you will do fine on it. The better you do the more you will likely get in terms of scholarships and grants.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not every program requires a GMAT or GRE.
    For example take a look at the admission requirements for my current program
    MSIA Admission Criteria Also Include:

• Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline from an accredited institution
    • Minimum 3.0 GPA on earned undergraduate degree
    • A strong record of academic achievement, as indicated by official transcripts and proof of proficiency on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or one of the following Security certifications: Security +, CISSP, GSE, CCSP, SSCP, CIW, or RSA.
    • Minimum passing score on a specific Security certification achieved within the last two years
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Many lower tier colleges don't require it. To get into a competitive program at an upper tier college will require one or the other.

Also this isn't necessarily true, the MS programs at RIT don't require them unless your GPA is under 3.0
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Thanks for the info everyone.

It will be at least a year before I do anything. Glad it's not required everywhere.
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□

Webster University | Best College | US News

Webster is a rated pretty high and does not require the GRE/GMAT.

However, National Inflation Association <--buyer beware!

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently graduated from college and am on my first job so I'm not interested at this second to go back to get a master's, but I do want to eventually.

The problem is, I'm not sure if I can pass the GMAT/GRE. Is there ever a point where you don't have to take this test? Like after a certain number of years.

If you are considering an MBA (GMAT), I wouldn't consider a school that doesn't require one, as there are too many MBAs from mediocre and sub-par schools...

Honestly, the first thing that you need to do is work on your confidence. Focus on your job for another year, and sharpen your productivity axe by doing some personal development. When you feel confident enough to pass an aptitude exam, go for it.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro